3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Truck - Flat Spots in Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Rdavenp3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck - Flat Spots in Tires

I just bought a new 08 Ram SXT 4X4. Drove it on side roads for a couple of days and no problem. Felt a little shimmy in the truck, but the roads around town suck in the middle of winter. Finally took it on the freeway, and I started to get a shake in the truck between 60-70 miles per hour. I took it to a dealer near work (not the dealer I bought it from), because I just thought the wheels needed to be balanced. The dealer tells me the tires have flat spots in them causing the problem. The build date of the truck is almost 11 months from when I bought it, and they think the dealer I bought it from left the truck sitting on the lot with low tire pressure that caused the flat spots. I called the dealer I bought the truck from and they tell me the wheels just need to be road forced balanced, but they can't do it and gave me the name of another dealer that does it. The dealer that diagnosed the flat spots told me that road force balancing won't help and the dealer I bought it from just doesn't want to pay for new tires since it's not covered under warranty.

Sorry so long, but I'm pretty pissed off that I may end up buying a new set of tires for a truck I just bought. Has anyone had road force balancing fix the shimmy problem on tires with flat spots?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

Check your documentation, the tires are covered by their own warranty, separate from Chrysler. The warranty information will instruct you to go to the manufacturer, ie; Goodyear, BFG, ect. Flat spot in the tire should be covered and with less than 25% wear, there should be no proration.

Good Luck

Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wanderer
Check your documentation, the tires are covered by their own warranty, separate from Chrysler. The warranty information will instruct you to go to the manufacturer, ie; Goodyear, BFG, ect. Flat spot in the tire should be covered and with less than 25% wear, there should be no proration.

Good Luck
Yep. With mine in with the manual there is tire warranty info in the form of a booklet. Never really looked at it but what Wanderer said make a lot of sense and should be part of their warranty if it isn't.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Rdavenp3

I looked at the warranty and it specifically states the warranty is void if the damage to the tire is caused by the tire being underinflated. The flat spots were caused by the truck sitting for months on the dealer lot with underinflated tires. I figure my best bet is to try and talk the dealer into trying to warranty the tires and see if Goodyear will take them back under warranty.

Quick Reply: New Truck - Flat Spots in Tires