3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end problem? I need some more help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:10 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end problem? I need some more help!

I have been having this problem for a few months now and when I took it to the stealership they just charged me a diagnosis fee and said, "cannon duplicate problem". A-holes! So, the problem is this:

I have a slight popping noise coming from the front end when I brake from 20mph or less. It cant be the brakes because it only happens when I am driving straight, not turning. It is more easlily felt in the steering wheel then heard though. Anyone know what this may be?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Have you checked it all out yourself. the first things i'd check are the calipers. if it is slightly loose it will make noise and eventually give you bigger problems.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

I dont think its the calipers or the brakes at all. if it was, i think it would make the noise all the time however i only hear and feel it when i drive straight, not while turning.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Rick Lottman

If it's an 06 or newer, I'd highly recommend getting the front struts replaced. I had the same problem on my 06 QC Hemi and kept thinking it was calipers clicking, etc. Put it in the suspension shop and found out the front struts were leaking fluid all over the place. It just makes them sloppy and the clank or click around inside the strut tower. Oh yea, as of right now, monroe is the only one that makes the replacements for us. DO NOT buy the dodge brand.

Last edited by Rick Lottman; 01-12-2009 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added the last sentence
Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 AM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

Actually, its an 04. Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to find out before I take it to the stealership.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

are you sure its not the shocks? one could be broke internally. can you duplicate the problem by a hop or two on the front end with out driving it? how about sway bar end links. if those bushings are wore it will give you a pop noise. ball joints good? our years of trucks had issues with the upper ball joints. other than that take it to an actual suspension specalist, and i dont mean any of those tire shops. those guys are crooks!

Quick Reply: Front end problem? I need some more help!