3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 ram HID flashing installation problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
badblackram06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 ram HID flashing installation problem

Hello all. i purchased a H13-3 HID conversion kit for my 06 ram. I ran into something very odd when i installed them. i hooked them up like the instructions said. they come on but as soon as i crank the truck they start flashing a few times then shut off. They also flash when i turn them on while the vehicle is running. i swapped the high beam wire with the low beam wire and they stay on when the truck is running but the high and low beam are reversed. so low beam is actually high beam and high beam is low beam, if that makes any sense. I want to hook them up right so what do i need to keep them from flashing?
The flashing has caused one bulb to malfuction. It no longer switches beams and is now stuck on low beam.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

wow this forum wasnt as much help as they say it was going to be. thanks!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Way to have some patience there buddy. There are several threads about this, so many of the people get tired of replying to these same questions over and over again, especially to new people. Ever notice the amount of threads in a day? It's also hard to notice every single post. But try the search button to see what answers you can find. Also, someone told me about a capacitor for newer vehicles for their HIDs to get rid of the flicker, and they are $40 for two.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Thats a very common problem with some no-name HID kits. The Dodge computer senses that there is no bulb because the HID's have less resistance then halogens. The flashing is the computer sending pulses to the lights to check to see if they are there. You are going to need resistors to get them to work right.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Ah ok thank you. where can i get these resistors? and how much would i expect to pay. Sorry for being impatient

Old 01-21-2009, 11:26 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

With what the site says, these should be the same thing as the resistors.
http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...__HID-CAP.aspx
And don't worry about impatience, it's hard to notice some threads sometimes, so a little bump to the top works just fine. Just have to have someone notice it.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ried69
With what the site says, these should be the same thing as the resistors.
http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...__HID-CAP.aspx
Capacitors are NOT the same thing as resistors! 2 different things.
He needs capacitors not resistors. The capacitors soak up all of the power and distribute it evenly to make the light not flicker. A 470uf capacitor is what you need. That will be large enough to hold the voltage being sent and keep the bulbs from flickering. You'll need 2 and wire accordingly. I would just buy pre-made one's with directions if you haven't a clue.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
He needs capacitors not resistors. The capacitors soak up all of the power and distribute it evenly to make the light not flicker. A 470uf capacitor is what you need. That will be large enough to hold the voltage being sent and keep the bulbs from flickering. You'll need 2 and wire accordingly. I would just buy pre-made one's with directions if you haven't a clue.
RaiderJay bought a "seamless" kit that installed and worked without messing around. Ask him what he got and maybe you can return the POS ya bought and buy what Jay did to begin with.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I don't know a whole lot of that, but in my defence, Jay is the one that said resistors, and I said capacitors. However, I have to thank Kindschi for that link to the capacitors. He showed me the link to those particular ones.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

I never had to mess with this. I have read several posts with people having problems buying products that are supposed to work on all vehicles. Dodges are not like all vehicles. I would return the kit and if you need a plug and play kit PM me and I will give you the contact info on a simple and great set.

Quick Reply: 06 ram HID flashing installation problem