3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plow on an 06 and after

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen a few newer rams with plows on them this winter. but the front suspension was squashed from it. if your going to do it you gotta get a lightweight plow, like one of the poly or lexan plows, much lighter then steel. i understand that the 1500s wont take it. ive been throwing the idea around to put one on my 1500 but i know my reapir bills will be thousands...these dodge trannys cant handle it. but then again you see dakoatas and what not with plows on them. i think if you have a residential plowing business and take it easy while operating ...you might be ok. truthfully, i dont think the front ends on these rams can handle the abuse.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by InfernoRedHemi
Has anybody heard of putting a plow on something newer with an warranty like the extended warranty, factory warranty, or lifetime warranty and getting away with it or the dealership not caring?
I cant imagine that you would even come close to getting away with it, you break **** left and right while plowing. if the manual says no then they will void it. especially if they didnt install it or a snow plow prep group. i dont think a dealer would be paying for a tore up trans that you kicked the crap out of while pushing heavy wet snow. theyd prolly tell you to go pound it. but it might be different with a 2500?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

How much money do you think that it would be for a older vehicle with an plow that is still running strong. The reason I ask this is that if you buy the plow for your ram, and have to spend big $$ in repairs wouldn't it be about the same price.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 AM
lincolnguy

Check out http://www.plowsite.com/ lot's of guy's with 1500's plowing!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by InfernoRedHemi
How much money do you think that it would be for a older vehicle with an plow that is still running strong. The reason I ask this is that if you buy the plow for your ram, and have to spend big $$ in repairs wouldn't it be about the same price.
Look at it this way, a good plow will easily cost you over $3k, thats without any other upgrade you might need to do like tires, anothe alternator, lights whatever. And say you get an old wrangler to plow with, that might be around 2k. so thats 5 grand right there just on the damn vehicle. What people dont think about is insurance. If you think your going to plow peoples driveways and make a few bucks, you cant do it without high risks. like if your plowing someones driveway at night and slide into a garage or take out a air conditioner or mailbox. thats big bucks repairs that comes from your pocket if you arent insured for snow removal. and any commercial insurance is expensive. so with all that you could be looking at 9 grand just to start up. i dont know if it balances out. its blood money as they say.
My plan is to buy a 3500 mason dump in the next two years and throw a plow on that, the dually with a hemi or ctd will be a tank in any condition.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went threw that whole thread. A lot of bad *** trucks in there.

Quick Reply: Plow on an 06 and after