3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Re-did the CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 PM
froto'sride
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,...i don't know if you know this but looking at the pics, they are awesome and i may have to invest some time in doing the same however, you sensor is technically in the wrong place. Instead of being in the bend it should be in the longest and straightest part of the intake. this allows the pcm to derive more accurate results. at this point I am sure you don't care because it looks good but i may help a lil with power and or mpg..just though i'd share some insight..DAMN sensitive EFI!!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Originally Posted by rssjib
What tha heck does microwaves have to do with black painted PVC? I guess I ain't no engineer! LOL Even though I do love trains.....
it may be the beer and liquor but this is the funniest thing i've read all night...are you a blond..no offence just wondering?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 PM
GLOK1132
Default Questions about your CAI

Sorry about all the questions in advance. I need to know the length of the long strait piece of PVC. I need to know what the pieces on either end of the long piece of PVC are. They don't look like regular 90 degree pieces. I also need the outside diameter of the piece attached to the filter so I know what size filter to buy. And what is the small blue tube near the filter? Sorry for all the questions but I like your set up so well I'm trying to build one for myself.

Attached Thumbnails Re-did the CAI-pvc-cai-1-edit.jpg  
Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

LOL froto! No I am not blonde! He He! I was not aware of the IAT location making a difference. It would be simple enough to fix. I just need a new piece to replace the 90 degree one, and make a new hole in the straight piece. I may do that. And what you say makes sense.

Ok Glok.........

If you look at the first pic of my original setup, the piece attached to the filter is the same piece but with the filter on the longer end. I also cut it a little because the filter was too far down. I wanted it to be in line with the jet stream scoop and it is. That tube is the air tube thing from the valve cover. You could put a little breather filter on it and not need the tube at all.

The piece coming off of the throttle body is a 90 degree bend piece but I cut it at an angle to fit my needs. Plus the PVC has a larger 4" end to slip over another 3" pipe. I used rubber sleeves to connect them. See pic....kind of like that but I cut the bigger end off.

So the end piece with the filter on it is from my old setup and is 3" diameter. The PVC is 3" ID so it is a hair bigger. Keep in mind the aluminum is thin, so it is not that much difference. That blue piece around the pipe is there so it matches up with the new rubber sleeve to connect it. It all holds together very well. I actually bought the sleeves at Home Depot as well. They had these metal sleeves around them but I removed those.

So I have two PVC pieces and the one metal piece with the filter on it. The long straight piece started off as a 2' piece. I have not measured it since I fitted it on, but I am guessing it is around 20" long or so. I trimmed it today when I installed the bracket on there because I wanted the scoot the filter away from the inside wall of the fender a little. Really you should install the pieces loosely and fit them accordingly. The bracket is just some metal straps that I bent a little and tucked inside one of the clamps for support.

The K&N filter is a 3" diameter opening and 4" total diameter. It is about 8" long or so. What I did was see how much room I had and bought the appropriate pieces to fit. It was not hard, but it took a while to gather everything. When cutting the PVC, be sure to blow out the inside as little pieces of PVC go everywhere when you cut it and you probably do not want to suck pieces of it into your engine!

Last edited by TRXHemi; 01-20-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM
GLOK1132

Thank you, that is a big help. Sorry for all the questions, but i give you mad props for your set up. When I get mine done I'll post some pics. Thanks again.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I believe that is what forums are for! We get to share ideas and assist each other out. You get to bounce ideas off of many people who have tried many things out. We learn from each other's failures. What I am trying to say is, no problem!

Can we get a group hug? LOLOL

Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Ddev2000

Great addition man. Details make the difference!! Thanks!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:05 PM
twain55
Default Elbow to filter

Looks great!

So, the elbow connected to the filter is the metal tube from the K&N kit you had previously and you painted black?

If so, what would recommend that can be used for that piece?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Yeah that elbow was from previous setup. You could do a 90 degree PVC elbow like the one coming off of the throttle body and just cut it to less of an angle with another straight piece going down for the filter. The straight piece was 2' long when I bought it, but I probably cut off 6 or 7 inches, so you could use that leftover for that. You would need one more sleeve to connect it.

Quick Reply: Re-did the CAI