3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009 | 11:41 PM
InfernoRedHemi
|
Veteran
Default The Exhaust Question

I know that others have asked similar questions but I searched and really didn't find anybody in the same situation as me get these questions answered.

So here it is. I want to eliminate the resonators, and get a free flowing muffler. Out of this I would be looking for hp & torque gains and mainly a loud powerful sounding muffler. I won't get sick of the sound; the louder the better.

Option #1: Have a muffler shop take out the resonators, and drop in a muffler.
Option #2: Get a catback system and install it myself.

What would the price difference be?
Which would I see better results from?
Is one better quality than the other?

I want to hear the exhaust. I want to hear the HEMI!
Thanks

Old 01-16-2009 | 11:51 PM
myslvr

I researched here a ton before buying my magnaflow but search on youtube and you'll hear a ton of Hemi's roaring. For loud and such I would look into getting rid of your resonators and installing a AT3030 muffler. Loud but impressive too. Search for it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 01-17-2009 | 10:32 AM
draco8494
Captain

you would see better performance gains using an aftermarket system that you do yourself...would most likely have all mandrel bends, and essentially a better flowing system because of testing and research, most good cat-back systems will set you back about 400-600 bucks, and dont go above a single 3" exhaust or dual 2", you will loose your scavangeing effect and loose torque, you have an exhaust shop do it its about 3-$400 bucks depending on what you want, and they normally dont mandrel bend unless otherwise specified and they weld hangers to the frame..but if thats what you want go for it! and i +2 the aero turbine 3030 sounds pretty darn good

Old 01-17-2009 | 12:53 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

coffin muffler! The most aggressive sounding muffler i have ever heard, not to mention a its different. If i knew how post a sound clip i would.

I have it donkey dicked, but its louder than the flowmasters and magnaflows, and has raspy scream at WOT that can not be matched. Im running a 2.5" inlet, and 3" outlet.

www.thecoffinmuffler.com

check em out, they have sound clips form other vehicles, not yet any hemi's or 4.7's, but you will get the point. He is still small enough to where he can give you a killer deal.

TRUST ME! BAD TO THE BONE RUMBLE!

4-7

Old 01-17-2009 | 02:44 PM
froto'sride
Professional

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
coffin muffler! The most aggressive sounding muffler i have ever heard, not to mention a its different. If i knew how post a sound clip i would.

I have it donkey dicked, but its louder than the flowmasters and magnaflows, and has raspy scream at WOT that can not be matched. Im running a 2.5" inlet, and 3" outlet.

www.thecoffinmuffler.com

check em out, they have sound clips form other vehicles, not yet any hemi's or 4.7's, but you will get the point. He is still small enough to where he can give you a killer deal.

TRUST ME! BAD TO THE BONE RUMBLE!

4-7
WOW...I have never heard of those mufflers but after seing them and hearing the clip I will have to try and slide the money out...sound like that is worth $85 especially if it helps tQ and hp.. Right now i just have the factory cats and y-pipe...i took the rest off but I think i may look into those

Old 01-17-2009 | 05:40 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i cant even take that muffler seriously. looks like someone welded a mini coffin then stuck tips on each side.

Old 01-17-2009 | 05:41 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

and if you want loud, glasspacks or bullet/race mufflers are all pretty much straight through mufflers

Old 01-17-2009 | 10:38 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mdram43
i cant even take that muffler seriously. looks like someone welded a mini coffin then stuck tips on each side.
to each his own my friend, but i can tell you one thing. Ive seen the interior of the muffler and it has a pretty intricate design.

Beside, i didnt want to sound like every dick and jane kid thats driving around with a muffler that was sitting on a shelf.

mdram, what exhaust system are you running?

4-7

Old 01-19-2009 | 08:52 PM
InfernoRedHemi
|
Veteran

What about if I dump it before the rear axle. Will It sound crappy?

Old 01-19-2009 | 09:09 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

i have mine dumped right out of muffler, which is right before the rear end. It sounds tough. When i first got it on, my wife described it at idle as, "it sounds like a boat". Rumble is deep. If you "donkey dick" it, which is a turn down right out of the muffler, it will be louder, deeper, and straight out raspy at WOT.

did you decide what exhaust your going with?

Quick Reply: The Exhaust Question