3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wat gears for take off

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WeightLifter500
Talk to anyone around here that has the 4.56's and they will tell you they saw a definate power increase and a mileage increase. If you are a highway person then these giant gears would kill your mileage, but if you are around town it really helps it. More tq to the wheels = less throttle needed to achieve the desired speed. It's simple math. Also with bigger+better gears it takes stress off of your engine. As far as the price I would go to airram.com for parts since your dad is doing the install. figure right about $1000. Reason I say that is because if you are doing this then you want it done right. Get either Yukon/motive 4.56 gears for the front+rear, the master install kits for the front and rear (they include new bearings+bushings), and get a Detroit Tru-trac. The LSD's in our trucks are a ticking timebomb and don't work worth a darn. Hell my truck didn't want to move in 2 inches of snow in 2wd with 11.5'' wide AT's. Our LSD's SUCK!!! the Detroit Tru trac is the way to go for a daily driver because it is open going around turns, but if you put the peddle down both tires will be going. If you are tinkering with something like that I would not cheap out. Just my humble .02
Makes perfect sense. But, I wouldnt see any benefit as far as mpg's, I can't keep my foot out of it as it is!! Before my little homemade cai setup, I was getting 11.5 mpg, which is what we get in the Durango. Now I get 13 or so.

Something I am confused about, would I have to do both front and rear gears? I was assuming that since it wasn't awd, I could do just the rear. Not necessarily trying to cheap my way out of it, but maybe I would if I "could"

Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

You could just do the rear...go ahead and engage the 4X4 and see what happens...

Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by semigod
You could just do the rear...go ahead and engage the 4X4 and see what happens...
Cool, can you also be running a video camera

Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Hey man, I live norfolk va. Can I have mine put in for free? Please?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
WeightLifter500
Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango
Makes perfect sense. But, I wouldnt see any benefit as far as mpg's, I can't keep my foot out of it as it is!! Before my little homemade cai setup, I was getting 11.5 mpg, which is what we get in the Durango. Now I get 13 or so.

Something I am confused about, would I have to do both front and rear gears? I was assuming that since it wasn't awd, I could do just the rear. Not necessarily trying to cheap my way out of it, but maybe I would if I "could"
As far as doing just the rear that is an absolute no no. If you only do the rears you can only use RWD. If you were to use 4WD with 3.55 fronts and 4.56 rears you would hit the gas and your differentials would hit the ground and so would your mouth when you have to pay for a tow truck to get you from bf egypt to your dad's shop. You will only be spending about 250 for the front gears with the master kit. The rear one will be about 250 as well, but add 500 and put a Detroit Tru-Trac in there. You won't regret it. You can put a cheap CAI in there, but never cheap out on drivetrain components!!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Well, now I feel foolish for thinking nonsense!! Haha. Obviously I don't know too much about the tranny/rearend world, despite who Im related too. Ol' man always told me he'd beat me if he ever caught me with a wrench in my hand. I think thats why he never taught me much, so Id keep coming to him for help. But, Id rather get caught with a wrench in my hand than a chainsaw, at least his shop is heated

DodgeitRamit- Now, I would love to hook you up, but that would be taking from my freebies (not that Im on a limited supply per say, but I don't like being a "burden")

Thanks for the info once again fellas, ya'll are more active here than my mustang forum I frequent....

Quick Reply: wat gears for take off