3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fog light (switchless)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light (switchless)

hey all,

I've got some PIAA's mounted and ready to go, but I'm trying to install it so that they come on only when my high beams are on (no switch at all). I unpluged one of my headlights and tested the wires, and found which one activates the fog lights when the high beams are on.

The problem is, when the daytime running lights come on, so do the fog lights! It doesn't look like its going to work by running the "trigger" wire into the headlight harness. Is there a high beam fuse or something i can run it to? Sorry I didn't get a manual with my truck (waiting for one) so I can't figure out where the highbeam fuse would be....if there is one.

Cheers

Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM
sos
All Star

Can't answer your question, but you can download a manual for free here: http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Stellar_D
Rookie

thanks for that. had a skim through and it didnt show any other place where the fuse could have been (the fuse box has the fuses stamped on the lid). I'm starting to think unless i splice the relay line with the actual high beam indicator light (which still probably wouldn't work) i'll have to rig up a switch. It's a shame because A) I dont want to and B) the switch got removed when I had this system installed in my Chevy, which had the proper setup for high beams that I'm looking for.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

There are no relays on the newer models. It's all internally controlled by the ecu. You just need an aftermarket 30amp relay for the basic 55w foglights. Run power to the relay, ground the relay, run the switched power to the high beam signal wire and the actual control switch that would be ran to a switch in the cab can be spliced directly to the other side of the lead off the relay. The relay will have 5 pins that are used. 1.Ground 2.Power 3.control switch Out 4.control switch In 5.high beam signal

So you would basically tie together #3+#4 and route everything else normally.
Hope this helps

Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

I think I'm a little confused. Are you saying to get another relay (on top of the one that has come with the PIAA kit)? Where do I feed the switch from the PIAA relay? Perhaps I need a diagram

Even if Idid that, how would the relay know that its running high beams or daytime lights (which appear to run off the same wire, when either are on, they currently toggle the piaas)

Thanks

Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 AM
bananafarmer
Professional

i just got some hella fog lights and when i installed them i ran a wire directly from the switch to the highbeam trigger light wire. then the other 2 wires on the switch run to a relay which runs to the battery so i assume that the piaa lights are similar to this but it should work if you find the wire that is the trigger wire for the high beams it sounds like you may have hit the running lights instead of the high beams.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

theres three wires (on an 06) when you unplug the harness from the lamp. if you're looking right at it (with the red clip part on top) there is a white with green stripe on the left, a black one in the midel, and a white with red stripe on the right (or i have them mixed up).

anyway, those are my only options. with the clip undone, i stuck the trigger wire from the piaa relay into the one on the far left (green stripe) with the headlights on, they piaas dont turn on. When i turn on the high beams, the piaa's then turn on, as planned. However as soon as i put it in drive and inch a bit forward (with the headlights off at this point) the piaa's come on with the daytime running lights. I'ts as if the daytimes share the same feed as the high beams, which makes no sense to me.

when i did the voltmeter test, the presumed high beams light would read something like 10volts while the headlight lead read just over 12volts. Now with the high beams toggled, it switches. The high beams lead goes to just over 12volts and the headlights go back down to 10ish (yet still turned off).

makes sense? doesnt make sense to me

i'm wondering if there was another relay that came with the kit as my mechanic cut some wires when he installed it in my chev. all it needed was this trigger wire that i'm working with now, into the high beam wire. since it was independent (on or off) it worked fine for that application

Last edited by Stellar_D; 01-20-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

alright so i've been poking around and there doesnt look like a way to do this really (at least not to my understanding) since essentially the high beams and the daytime running lights share the same wire. not even sure how that works either but whatever.

so i'll use the high beam wire as teh power for my switch, and run the trigger from the relay to the switch. this way i'll only be able to flip on the piaa's if the high beams are on, unfortunately i could leave them on with my running lights are on too by that account, so i'll have to be careful.

anyway my kit doesnt have any fuses, could someone please help out to what i'll need in the way of fuses? its the piaa 520 kit and i THINK they are 85 watt bulbs but not entirely sure.

cheers

Quick Reply: fog light (switchless)