3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:57 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck Shuddering

Hey guys. Been a while since I've been on here. Had a problem pop up with my Ram and I thought I'd come here lookin for answers and suggestions. So here it is. Basically as I accelerate thru and decelerate thru roughly 40-45 mph, my truck shudders until I get out of that range. I thought it was the rotors but I replaced those and the brake pads. I'm wondering if maybe my suspsension is loose at some point. But its makin me kinda nervous. Any ideas guys?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

sounds ball joint'ish to me, raise a side up and look for excessive play... Other factors could make for this though can be as simple as a tire out of balance or a driveshaft out balance...
Shutters and vibrations are just a big PIA the isolate. Usually easy to fix when you find out the cause, but a bi*ch finding the culprit most of the time...

Old 01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My next place to look would be the tires. Try a rotation and see what that brings.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

ya know...this question has poped up a few times before. I also have the same issue with mine. vibe between 38-42mph. I think there is more to it than tires. so far thats the usual answer that comes from the thread. believe me its been to a few shops and ive bought new tires new wheels new ball joints new shocks all new brakes and even had the stealership replace the whole rear end(c clip club). and i still have the vibration. hope someone has an answer for it someday. it seems kinda wierd that this many of us have the same issue around the same mph. any help would be great.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Only reason i suggested tires is it cost nothing to check with a simple rotation.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Shutters and vibrations are just a big PIA the isolate. Usually easy to fix when you find out the cause, but a bi*ch finding the culprit most of the time...
That's why I said this, but if you are going to start someplace, the tires are the easiest & cheapest to check. Plus are the culprit a fair majority of the time...
Also, if you did not have your tires "road force" balanced, you threw your money away and the issue still may be tire balance...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 PM
035spd4x4

U-joint's? My truck needed them @ 48k. They don't have to be loose to be bad,they can bind up due to being dry and cause a vibration.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 AM
bigbuckhunter
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
That's why I said this, but if you are going to start someplace, the tires are the easiest & cheapest to check. Plus are the culprit a fair majority of the time...
Also, if you did not have your tires "road force" balanced, you threw your money away and the issue still may be tire balance...
IM not saying its not the tires. at least i hope it isnt. I used to have BF at's. had em balanced about 3 different times by the dealership.then bought the pro comp at's at good year and had em mounted. went back to have em balanced again, twice and still had the vibe. so i bought new rims because they said it may be the wheels.( the old ones were Fugly anyways) so the new tires with less than 500 miles were mounted/balanced on new rims. between rims and tires its been some serious money outa pocket! but no matter what they have done that stinkin vibe is till there between 38-42mph.........man i hope it isnt the tires, those things are getting expensive! hey hammer I've been meaning to tell you that your truck is sweet!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigbuckhunter
IM not saying its not the tires. at least i hope it isnt. I used to have BF at's. had em balanced about 3 different times by the dealership.then bought the pro comp at's at good year and had em mounted. went back to have em balanced again, twice and still had the vibe. so i bought new rims because they said it may be the wheels.( the old ones were Fugly anyways) so the new tires with less than 500 miles were mounted/balanced on new rims. between rims and tires its been some serious money outa pocket! but no matter what they have done that stinkin vibe is till there between 38-42mph.........man i hope it isnt the tires, those things are getting expensive! hey hammer I've been meaning to tell you that your truck is sweet!
Thanks for the compliment.

But it's amazing how many times guy take it in and have them balanced, rotated, etc. Eventually finding out in the long run it WAS the tires. Was just a guy here not long back bought a set, vibrations from hell, had 'em balanced, rotated, everything. Every place swore it couldn't be the tires, swapped them out for another set (same brand, different size) and the problem was gone! Now that ain't saying it's the tires for sure, I've seen an out of balance drive shaft do it too! Usually ball joints aren't speed specific issues, but not always. Like I said, a vibration is the biggest bi*ch to isolate the cause of!!!

Quick Reply: Truck Shuddering