3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How much is too much???

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnysArt
I'd like to start by saying thats a sick looking truck you have--love the grill, I've been looking at something similar for my 02.
ENGINE MODS: 52mm FastMan TB, CGS Motorsports CAI, Magnaflow custom exhaust coming out the rear front tire, MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, Napa brass cap and rotor, Mopar valve covers and chrome breather, Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers(non adjustable), SuperChips tuner, Jet 180 t-stat, Mobile 1 synthetic oil, JBA silver ceramic coated shorty headers, stage 8 locking header bolts.
EXTERIOR MODS: Helo 20x9 rims, 275/55 20 pirelli scorpion tires, Xenon fender flares, Mopar calipers custom airbrushed by "me", Powerstop rotors and pads, Matrix tail lights, Bully clear 3rd LED brake light, debadged by me completely, Mopar wheel well liners, and Mopar lock for 5th wheel(so you don't see that ugly chain hanging down anymore)
MODS I HAVE NOT INSTALLED YET: airbrushed tow plug, powdercoated diff cover and some Oakley emblems.

Around 4000.00

johnny.
thanks man, i get tons of compliments on my grill, it really sets my truck apart from all the other rams. of course there are the haters too but that doesnt stop me. it all comes down to what you like. for me, it all came down to choosing between my grill and one of those big mouth grills with the horizontal billets all the way across. I still wonder how my truck would look like with one of those but i do know that full replacement grills are the best!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianD215
All these teenagers are getting trucks? Man, I'm 26 and busting my *** to pay my bills. I could never have imagined having something this nice at 17 or 18. My first vehicle was a Ford f-150 regular cab with a 5.0 V8. It was regular cab, short bed, plain *** white, and had 108,000 miles on it when I bought it. I bought it all on my own and that was all I could afford while in college. It lasted almost one year to the day. It just decided to lose oil pressure... forever.

R.I.P. - you POS Ford.
yea when i was 16 i wanted a car but who doesnt. i didnt care what i got. i came home from school one day and my mom surprised me with it. i was shocked and very grateful bc she did not have to do that

Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

I'm 16 and just got mine. I paid $15k for the truck alone. I could've gotten one more expensive, but most of my money was tied up in CDs. I've got almost $20k in the bank, and I paid $7k on my truck with a $10k loan. I've still got $9k left to pay off on that.
I don't know quite what to do on my truck. I've thought about running it and modding it, then replace stuff as it goes. When my transmission goes, replace that. When the engine goes, replace that too. So long as I keep it nice, the body shouldn't give me a problem. The only bad thing with keeping this old of a truck too long with this mileage, is replacing so many smaller things, then eventually finding back model parts.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by InfernoRedHemi
I bought mine by myself and pay for the insurance, gas, and any other expense my truck has. I have been saving since I was very young.

When I was 7 years old I was cutting my parents grass with a push mower. Then the next year, when I was 8, I had a few customers. All the way up to now where I have 20+ customers (they have smaller yards). Still with all of these customers it is just me but I have upgraded to a 6x12 utility trailer, multiple weedeaters, pushmowers, 36'' Bunton walk behind (15hp V-Twin Kawasaki), and lots of other stuff. It doesn't stop there because I mulch, do garden work, and tons of other odd jobs. This landscaping deal is where most of my money came from but now I started working for a company 20+ hours after school and full time in the summer.

And I proudly make and spend my money. I don't get hand-out from my parents.

I love my truck!
wow thats an impressive story. i bet when you were 7, you probably saw a red dodge ram and said i want that one. did you remember to save money for college? my friend has been mowing yards for half a year now and hes only saved enough just to buy a new stereo head unit. I bet you get mad when you see your friends who've never worked a day in their life role up in brand new bimmers their dad bought em for no reason. lol.
the only reason my dad bought me a new truck is 1.) safety and 2.)im kind of smart. #2 in a class of 800. of course a lot has happened since then but hey, the truck has been bought.

whats your story SilverBullet08. i bet you invented the cure for cancer or something haha

Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by raminator08
Being on this forum has showed me a lot of cool trucks. Constantly you see people adding new mods almost everyday to their trucks. Personally I have nothing against this because I am one of those people (well at least I try to be during the few times I actually have money to spend). I know that there are literally hundreds of thousands of different things you can put on for our third gen rams. There trucks where people spend more than $15K on just paint. Im just wondering if its alright when your total mods are worth more than the truck was initially worth new. So, what mods have you put on and what is the rough estimate of how much everything has cost? How far will you go with the mods?
when the mods total more than the cost of the truck, i do believe your an idiot. and should have just bought a better car. ha. back in highschool two brothers i know (who ever very well off and spoiled) dropped thousands upon thousands into cars. the cars were like 30 to begin with, and then all that rest, its like why didnt you just buy a sweet *** car to start?

personally i wont spent too much more on my truck, because my first one got totaled and i didnt get much for the accessories i put on it.

raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ried69
I'm 16 and just got mine. I paid $15k for the truck alone. I could've gotten one more expensive, but most of my money was tied up in CDs. I've got almost $20k in the bank, and I paid $7k on my truck with a $10k loan. I've still got $9k left to pay off on that.
I don't know quite what to do on my truck. I've thought about running it and modding it, then replace stuff as it goes. When my transmission goes, replace that. When the engine goes, replace that too. So long as I keep it nice, the body shouldn't give me a problem. The only bad thing with keeping this old of a truck too long with this mileage, is replacing so many smaller things, then eventually finding back model parts.
$15K for a 6 year old ram! man, right now i see 08 hemi quad Lone Star 4x4s for just $8k more. either your truck is the best shape ever or those 08s i see dont come with the 20s or the interior

another question, how does any teenager save $20K in the bank. did a rich uncle die and willed it.

BrianD215
Professional

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
yea when i was 16 i wanted a car but who doesnt. i didnt care what i got. i came home from school one day and my mom surprised me with it. i was shocked and very grateful bc she did not have to do that
Yeah man, those were the days. When I was 16 I was sharing a Camry with my mom. She barely ever used it so it was mostly there for me. I went through a few junkers over the years and now I am finally driving something I really like and hope to keep for quite a while. Now if these pesky mortgage payments would disappear I could get this thing lifted and all set up. hehe.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok my story is that i was in the top 5% of my class out of 700, got a partial scholarship to college have a 4.0 right now so i guess im kinda smart too and my mom thought i deserved it.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by InfernoRedHemi
I bought mine by myself and pay for the insurance, gas, and any other expense my truck has. I have been saving since I was very young.

When I was 7 years old I was cutting my parents grass with a push mower. Then the next year, when I was 8, I had a few customers. All the way up to now where I have 20+ customers (they have smaller yards). Still with all of these customers it is just me but I have upgraded to a 6x12 utility trailer, multiple weedeaters, pushmowers, 36'' Bunton walk behind (15hp V-Twin Kawasaki), and lots of other stuff. It doesn't stop there because I mulch, do garden work, and tons of other odd jobs. This landscaping deal is where most of my money came from but now I started working for a company 20+ hours after school and full time in the summer.

And I proudly make and spend my money. I don't get hand-out from my parents.

I love my truck!
wow. thats ironic. i have the same exact story, i dont know the age but it was 4th grade. and i have an exmark rather than a bunton. and i never got to 20, the most i had was somewhere between 12-15 and that was before college, but also in between working construction.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by raminator08
$15K for a 6 year old ram! man, right now i see 08 hemi quad Lone Star 4x4s for just $8k more. either your truck is the best shape ever or those 08s i see dont come with the 20s or the interior
I bought this before the economic crisis. I paid a little bit more than it was worth, but the price could be paid out for some of the things on it. Not much, but it was a nice truck. It should be real nice when I'm done.

And like Inferno, I've been working and saving for a long time. I never mowed, but I got a job right at 14, and I had a paper route for several years and made a decent amount of money I always put into the bank, and never saved any.

I also wouldn't feel right if someone purchased my truck and gave it to me. I would take some money to help purchase it. My grandparents gave me $1000 for the truck. But I've got $300 payments per month on the truck alone + gas and cellphone bills.