3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

School me on rear air bags...pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
caliboy@heart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on rear air bags...pros/cons

I will be puttin a 2.5 inch leveling kit on in the next few weeks and was thinking about putting on rear air bags after that to help with the rear end that will be saggin on my 04 1500 4x4. If anyone here has them, let me know the pros and cons. Thanks guys.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

I used to have em on an old truck i had. They were in it when i bought it. My understanding is they are mainly for overload help with hauling. My guess is for your application it would be a waste of $. But im just guessing.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:15 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have them and love them, I have a tool box and because of that, my ATV sits WAY back, like rear wheels barely on the tailgate back, so even though it's under 700lbs, because every bit of the weight was rearward of the axle, it went WAY down in back. The bags work perfectly, only about 20# of air of their 100# capacity keeps it perfectly level with the ATV. Also I've pulled about a 7000# trailer on two occasions, 30-35# of air had my truck perfectly level.
Because you can adjust the amount of air, the ride is perfectly stock with no load or trailer, unlike "helper springs" which are always there and will kill your kidneys when traveling unloaded.
But as stated, they are a load thing, if you are looking for lift out of them forget it, get you a couple of blocks and extended "U" bolts...

Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey hammer, you travel with your atv resting on your tailgate? I'd be afraid that the tailgate straps wouldn't hold that weight driving down the road and over bumps!
My Silverado straps broke when I put my snowblower up in the bed. They were a recall item and th snowblower does weigh 400lbs.

I suppose having 2 adults tailgating sitting on it doesn't hurt it, but I would just be weary of driving down the road like that!

Air bags as helpers are the best ride possible when not in use. and when in use, you will actually benefit from better MPG's. As Hammer stated, helper springs will ride like a lumber wagon and make you feel like you have a shortbox 3500.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:31 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Hey hammer, you travel with your atv resting on your tailgate? I'd be afraid that the tailgate straps wouldn't hold that weight driving down the road and over bumps!
My Silverado straps broke when I put my snowblower up in the bed. They were a recall item and th snowblower does weigh 400lbs.
Got it covered 'dog, almost all the weight sits on the receiver and ALL the bouncing force goes straight to there. That's exactly why I bought a Louisiana Guard Dog, 'dog. I may have been born at night, but it weren't last night. but I appreciate the thought...

Name:  watch1.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  watch2.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  76.0 KB

Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice, so that stops theives too?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I have them and love them, I have a tool box and because of that, my ATV sits WAY back, like rear wheels barely on the tailgate back, so even though it's under 700lbs, because every bit of the weight was rearward of the axle, it went WAY down in back. The bags work perfectly, only about 20# of air of their 100# capacity keeps it perfectly level with the ATV. Also I've pulled about a 7000# trailer on two occasions, 30-35# of air had my truck perfectly level.
Because you can adjust the amount of air, the ride is perfectly stock with no load or trailer, unlike "helper springs" which are always there and will kill your kidneys when traveling unloaded.
But as stated, they are a load thing, if you are looking for lift out of them forget it, get you a couple of blocks and extended "U" bolts...
this is exactly what i was thinking. when i haul things, cars, pave stones for the house, dirt for my projects (which is why i laugh when i see the little led's that people put between the tailgait and bumper!) i dont want to bottom out esspecially with the leveling kit. what kit are you runnin hammer?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

yep, locks at both the reciever hitch and the ball...

Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

hammer, what brand and setup are you running for your air bags?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by caliboy@heart
hammer, what brand and setup are you running for your air bags?
Air Lifts, the ride control series. It's for medium duty. They are rated for 2000 lbs. That's NOT trailer weight, that's cargo weight or tongue weight, which was way more than enough for me. Like stated, to level 700 lbs. sitting *******ly at the tailgate, I only need less than 30% of their capacity. They have a set of 5000 lbs rated bags too, but personally I'd only consider them for a dually or maybe a 2500 CTD that was hauling/towing massive weight on a regular basis.

I paid $185 delivered, but got 'em from a buddy with a tire/auto repair center at his cost. I've seen 'em online for a little over $200. You can opt for a bunch of accessories like on-board compressor, gauges, auto-level kits, etc. But I don't use mine real often so I just hook up a compressor when I need to and carry a gauge in the truck for the tires anyway.

Firestone makes a set too, which are a little more readily available, but I don't like the way they go in, they U-bolt over the leaf springs. You have the leafs go or the U-bolt shifts or breaks and you'd have a problem. I kinda like this "direct to the frame" setup.

Now I welded mine on, but the kit comes with bolts you can drill into the frame and use them. Figure about 2 hrs or so to install them in your driveway...

Name:  HPIM2897.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  bag.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  RideControl_59xxx_model.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  6.4 KB

Quick Reply: School me on rear air bags...pros/cons