3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

For all of us with DRLS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM
dunerider650
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all of us with DRLS

I guess ill start this topic off by saying that pretty much everyone who lives in Canada and has a Dodge of anykind knows the DRL system and that its hard to remove and may cannot be removed. I have only figured out two ways of getting around this system so that i can just run the amber lights. I would just like to share information about what i have run into and get some other ideas about the system.

The dodge drl system turns on as soon as you take the truck out of park and put it into any gear the computer sends out a lower voltage not sure (40%) of its normal power to the headlights to keep them on at ALL times when you are driving. I have tried looking for wires on the shifter linkage on the tranny, wires on the shifter lever in the cab and even grounding the wire for the parking break which does work i might add but the parking break light stays on and blinks so therefor its not a fix in my opinion.....the dealers will not and say they cannot remove the drl system even though they can in 5 min....its illegal to do so they WONT. There is no DRL black box or control system of anykind on the vehicle, it is built into the computer on the 08s.

Now the ways i have figured out to get around this pesky system.
The first would be to do a wiring job for the headlights...the drl system puts 40% of its voltage through the high beam wire to the headlights you could cut this wire on both sides run a switch into the cab and by the use of a relay and a switch you could run power to the headlights when YOU want to by blocking the computer via switch. The other way is pretty much the same but involves less mashing of your wiring....you could get under the fuse box in the hood and put a inline switch on the power wire for the headlights and run it into the cab...turn the switch off no power to fuse therefor no power to headlights.

Now i dont like any of these options since it involes hacking up the stock wiring and having a risk of your lights going completely off while doing 70mph at night down the road...yikes. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know because we all know how ugly DRLs are specially when the entire headlight acts as it.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can't do either option. The ecu knows how much power is being drawn vs what is suppose to be drawn. You will have error codes if you try and do anything about it. Also, you'll have to flick a switch and then turn the headlight switch everytime you want headlights....PIA
Clearly it's an ecu programmable option because i have an '08 and do not have DRL's. Nor do I want them.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
dunerider650
Veteran

Good call on that one...it never came to my mind that it might throw codes....does anyone know of any programs that you can mess around the dodge computer with? i know the gm guys have hptuners for there laptops and a couple others???

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

We have tuners availabe but they only control the performance aspect and tire size ratios. Nothing as far as lights go. Guys that put in HID kits have the same problem and need a capacitor to stop flicker from the ecu because of voltage drop

Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by dirtydog
We have tuners availabe but they only control the performance aspect and tire size ratios. Nothing as far as lights go. Guys that put in HID kits have the same problem and need a capacitor to stop flicker from the ecu because of voltage drop
Sound like thier might be a market for this, I wonder if anyone who works with the tuners is listening.

Quick Reply: For all of us with DRLS