3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 dodge ram problem!!! please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009 | 07:41 PM
mattg34
|

ok i put a bottle of seafoam in my gas, i had 3/4 of a tank before the add. i took it for a short test drive and when i punched it the check engine light came on but nothing major happened. when i got home i plugged the superchips in and this is the code that came up: po306 fault cylinder g-misfire detected cylinder 6. well i hope this isnt a new problem caused from adding the seafoam. could this code have anything to do with my problem???

Old 01-22-2009 | 08:45 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

no, don't think seafoam will cause a misfire in 1 cylinder, unless maybe something was already wrong. you might have an injector issue there. let the seafoam run it's course, hopefully if it was an injector issue it didn't just break something loose and let it lodge in the injector.

also put some in the top end. here's a how to from another forum i used to visit when i had my camry, remember that the quantities will be larger for our trucks cuz the engine is bigger, the gas tank is bigger, the oil pan is bigger...

HOW TO ADMINISTER SEAFOAM TO CLEAN YOUR ENGINE
(Thanks to Toysrme for the following discussion)

Seafoam makes the world go round!
Not really, but at $5 a can it's a steal.
A can is 1 pint.
You need 2 cans.

Pour 1/2 a can in the gas tank when you stop to fill up. (This ensures it mixes well)

Pour the other 1/2 in with fresh engine oil.
At the least you will notice that the engine will idle noticeably smoother.

Here's where most people get confused. Using it down the intake to clean the combustion chamber & parts of the head.

1) Drive the car around the block until it comes up to temp
2) Pour 1/3 of a can into a separate container (1/4 of a can for 4 cylinders)
3) Crank the engine
4) Pull the brake booster hose off & put your finger over the end so the car doesn't lean out & stall.

5) Drop the hose in the bottom of the container & let your finger off the end. If the engine doesn't stall out completely SHUT IT OFF ASAP.
The fluid will near instantly disappear & the engine should stall from being too rich to run, or being too lean from the hose letting air in afterwards. This will not break your engine. You're not using enough fluid to hydrolock it.
6) The engine should sit for 5 min.
7) Crank the engine & let it run until the smoke dies down
Normally you will get an ungodly amount of smoke.
8) As the smoke dies down, drive the car around. Be sure to make liberal use of 1st & 2nd gear to get to the higher portions of the RPM range a few times. That would be 5000-6850rpm..
You are not breaking your engine by running it at those rpm... All of the computers on all of the engines will cut the fuel to slow the RPM down before the engine is damaged. Yes, they are built for it...

so to apply to our trucks, you probably wan't 3/4 of a can in our 25 gallon tanks, 1/2-3/4 into the top end. and redline should be around 5800 on a stock motor i think.

Old 01-22-2009 | 09:21 PM
mattg34
|

do i add any to the oil?? never done the seafoam thing and dont want to mess this up tomorrow. ive already added to my gas.

Old 01-22-2009 | 09:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

yea and while you got the TB exposed pour some in there too, the directions are on the can. Two greatest inventions of all time, Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil...

Old 01-22-2009 | 09:48 PM
socaliallstar82
Professional

what kinda intake are you running and how long have you had it on? I know the K&N Intakes as well as others use oil and after a while can get the Throttle body real dirty as well as dirty up the MAF sensor.

Old 01-22-2009 | 09:57 PM
mattg34
|

i am running the brute force intake with the filter you have to oil. never crossed my mind. tb is comming off tomorrow for a cleaning!! dumb question but can the maf sensor be cleaned as well?

Old 01-22-2009 | 10:14 PM
socaliallstar82
Professional

well being that i dont have a ram, but assume intake assembly is similar, i would say yes. I use to use a little bit of carb /throttle body cleaner on the MAF sensor and a q-tip to clean it off when i had a K&N on my previous tundra. it evaporates pretty quick.

Old 01-24-2009 | 11:57 AM
mattg34
|

ok yesterday i cleaner the tb and sensor, checked the battery, ran this amazing seafoam through my whole system which made it run no different, changed my oil again though it never needed it. like ive stated before all new plugs and wires. thought to myself man this outta do it. well it got down to 1 last night but i thought id try it anyways. truck will still not start. im spending too much money and getting nowhere, worse actually since this all began. im beat down and dont know what to do.

Old 01-24-2009 | 02:17 PM
socaliallstar82
Professional

well being that its a 2005, is your warranty still intact? This may be a good opportunity to trade in for an 08 if you like that style or an 09. Dodge is giving away trucks right now. Hell you might even wanna join the dark side and get a tundra....lol jk jk, dont wanna get flammed.

Old 01-24-2009 | 06:41 PM
mattg34
|

its going to the dealership monday, but not under warranty (30,500mi) and ready to bend over. hopefully they can come up with something and yes i will be trading this piece in on either a ford lightning or chevy?? this spring. ive had 3 dodges, 2 of which gave me problems and 5 chevy's with only 1 of them ever giving me problems. my dad has ran fords all his life and has never given him any major concerns. sorry dodge folks but i gave ya a try. one last thing has anyone ever had any damage from using superchips? will programming over time cause damage to the computer if re-programmed enough times?

Quick Reply: 2005 dodge ram problem!!! please help!!!!