3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Westin step bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Westin step bars

I bought these from a friend and they were chrome....I wanted black and the price was good, so I decided to sand 'em down and paint them black....

These pics show before and after with one coat of primer right now. A second coat is going on later this evening. Tomorrow I will put the top coat on. I will be using Plasti-Grip which is a rubbery type coating which doesn't crack and resists knicks, etc. I will post pics of the finished goods when I am done. Hopefully, I can install them on the truck Saturday.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure dodgeorgethit would be going crazy because he prob would have swapped his black bars for your chrome one's.

Did you scuff the chrome with like 600grit?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I actually scuffed it with 220 then 320. They have not been used for a while and had a little bit of pitting on them - nothing too serious though. I used the Rustoleum primer. I did two coats of primer and it looks dang near completely smooth. When I put the other coating on it tomorrow, I have no doubt that it will be just fine. Plus they are on the bottom of the truck, and it is a semi-gloss finish. Any imperfections will not stick out much anyway. Most of the pitting was on the bottom of the passenger side one, so no worries.

I originally bought the Carr steps but I only bought one pair to make sure I liked them. I don't really like them. They hang down a little far for my tastes. These have adjustments in/out and up/down. I like them tucked in so as not to be too obtrusive. Heck, I don't use them anyway. They are for my wife and kiddos.

Friday afternoon, I will put the final coat(s) on and I plan on mounting them Saturday. I will post some more pics when I do. Also, I am getting the front 2" leveling kit, so that will bring up the front a little as well. I really like how they look. The oval shape makes them not look too big from the side but they are nice and wide for your feet.
And the best part was that they only cost me $40 plus a free flow air filter I had.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Well final coating is on and drying. Should get them installed Saturday or Sunday.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Very nice. I love everyones ingenuity on here. Inspires me to "broaden my horizons"

Old 01-23-2009, 10:16 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Thanks. Hopefully my coating will not chip. This Plasti-Coat stuff is a rubber coating and is supposed to be resistant to chipping, etc....I guess we'll see. I did two coats of primer and two thick coats of the rubber coating.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:18 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

seems like a good bit of trouble to make them black, but you'll be the only one with that coating. make sure you get pics up before hammer hears about it,

Old 01-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did that 2 trucks ago. After the first winter, the cinders and salt sand blasted the paint off the bottom of the steps.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:37 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Not much salt around here! Houston TX has good weather for the most part. It should be okay but if not I can always get them powder coated. I figured I would try it myself first.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:47 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rssjib
Not much salt around here! Houston TX has good weather for the most part. It should be okay but if not I can always get them powder coated. I figured I would try it myself first.
If your coating fails for whatever reason and they need to be redone, id take em to a LineX shop and have em sprayed with that stuff. Looking good so far tho. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up.

Quick Reply: New Westin step bars