3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Window Leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all who have mentioned this fix, i went ahead and did it...But i still not sure how this can take care of the problem ? The hole that goes into the cab for the electrical wire is really elevated ? Am i missing something ?

Pete

Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Jeepsrock
I appreciate all who have mentioned this fix, i went ahead and did it...But i still not sure how this can take care of the problem ? The hole that goes into the cab for the electrical wire is really elevated ? Am i missing something ?

Pete
I resealed my 3rd brake light and when I was at the car wash the other day I noticed it was leaking and crawled in the back seat and it is most definitely the rear window seal. when I get my windshield replaced I am going to see if they can reseal the rear window.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Well it makes more sense that it would be the window seal.

I'm just curious, everyone mentioned the rear window seal but i am trying to figure out how and why ? Maybe i am the only one interested in that...

Pete

Old 02-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

I think i meant how it would be the 3rd Brake Light above...

Anyways, it has started to rain again and even after the sealing, the center of the window is dripping from in between the headliner and the plastic window piece.

This is so annoying.

Pete

Old 02-06-2009, 10:03 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Mine hasn't leaked yet but you guys have me paranoid about it now...I keep looking at it and checking for dampness

Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
sos
All Star

Water can do weird things - even seem to defy gravity to cause leaks. I install and service security cameras, and despite the fact that they seem to be completely sealed, water somehow gets in. I've even seen NEMA 4X enclosures filled with water - even though they are supposed to be waterproof.
Also, the simple act of driving on the highway causes the water to be wind-driven at 65 mph.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Jeepsrock
Rookie
Arrow

I got sick of this leak today, I took the third brake light apart and the original gasket is horribly designed. The gasket material is absorbent and after rain it becomes worthless it seems. I'm not sure if this is the cause of my leak, but what the heck.

I scraped of the original water filled gasket and used weatherstripping.

Lets see what happens.

Pete

Old 02-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Jeepsrock
Rookie

Apparently my solution was very short lived..haha

I had water on my rear seat again this morning. Maybe a trip to the hardware store for ideas might yield other solutions.

If anyone has come up with a solution/idea please pass it on, as this is supremly annoying at this point.

Pete

Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Scott06HEMI
Professional

Has anyone figured anything out with this? I am getting water leaking down between the headliner and the plastic window track. It's not coming from the sliding rear window since the water is coming in above that piece. It's running down from behind the headliner, YET the headliner is not wet at all.

and on a side note, dodge really EFF'd up with the seat material. I sure hope who ever decided to use this material was fired and is broke sitting somewhere in the gutter. What moron would put a material into a vehicle that will stain with just plain water. Rain drops leave stains on my seats just from opening the door to get in and out while it's raining.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM
dodge822

has anyone found a cure for this problem?

my rear window, or light is still leaking after a good silicone around the window, and 3rd breaklight, but still i getting the water from behind the headliner.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Leak ?