3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

'08 Ram 5.7 Hemi vs '08 Ram 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 PM
sos
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That price does seem a little high at this point. I paid about that same price for mine last May. I don't know what options the truck has, but mine is basically an SLT, plus towing package and popular equipment group. Now that they have been sitting on his lot for a long time and having the 09's out, I think he should be able to give you a better price.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RamMark
Both of these are SLTs, so is the price ($25,300) a reasonable price for a new 2008?

That's what i have. I had the tow package, Big Horn Package, Popular equiptment group, fogs, 20" wheels, rear slider, heated mirrors and that's it. My sticker was $37,730. I believe the price was $31,500 after rebates and incentives directly off the sticker. They showed me big money for my truck which of course was the "play" they had in the mark up. Most vehicles have a 7% mark-up for a general synopsis. Higher priced have more. That's $2500 for a $35k truck in mark-up. My truck would have been $29k even for a cash in hand deal. I purchased in March '08

Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM
RamMark

SOS, the truck you describe in your signature sounds almost like the truck I looked at today. I don't have to be in any hurry to buy, and I'd think these guys would be motivated to sell one of the last two '08s they have on their lot. So I'll just wait them out a bit longer.

I hadn't thought about how long they had been sitting there... what kind of impact would it have on a new engine to sit that long without being driven much at all?

THANKS for all the input so far!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 PM
RamMark

Showing my ignorance here, but other than the fact that it would be a year newer and the new body style, what would be the advantage of a '09 over a '08?

This will be only the second new truck I've ever purchased and I plan to keep it for a long time. Trade-in or re-sale value is not that big of a consideration for me.

Thanks again!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

09's have some different features and a smoother ride due to the coil springs in the rear. However, you cannot tow as much or handle heavy load like the '08 can. '09 has a few nice features that you may want to look into before making your '08 purchase. Also, the '09's have 390hp?? I dunno where they pulled more hp from? It's also suppose to spend more time in 4cyl mode....yuck.
I'm not sorry one bit that I bought my '08. I actually like it better than the '09. Infact, i would rather buy...I'd get shot in here for sayin this, but I'd rather buy an '09 F-150 over the '09 Ram. Sorry, but it's just a better truck for the purpose of trucks.
I bought my truck for power and looks and the fact I hate the F-150's for having cheap chrome bezels all over the place and I hated their door mirrors. The same mirrors they mounted on the '09s.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Get the 5.7 or people will laugh at you

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Infact, i would rather buy...I'd get shot in here for sayin this, but I'd rather buy an '09 F-150 over the '09 Ram.
DIRTYDOG

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 01-23-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: needed to shoot dirtydog
Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 PM
sos
All Star

Originally Posted by RamMark
SOS, the truck you describe in your signature sounds almost like the truck I looked at today. I don't have to be in any hurry to buy, and I'd think these guys would be motivated to sell one of the last two '08s they have on their lot. So I'll just wait them out a bit longer.

I hadn't thought about how long they had been sitting there... what kind of impact would it have on a new engine to sit that long without being driven much at all?

THANKS for all the input so far!
Well most dealers will move the vehicles around on their lots every once in a while, and I'm sure they have been taken out for a test drive every so often too, so they probably are not just sitting in one place for a long time. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

As for the price, remember you can negotiate. Make a lower offer. Think about what you really want to pay, and double the difference between his asking price and your ideal price. For instance, if you want to pay $24k, offer $23k so when you "meet in the middle" it is near your ideal price. That being said, my truck has some add-ons at this point - I had to buy the bug guard and the side steps, and yours includes them. If the dealer won't budge, you can try to get some more add-ons. Maybe you want a better radio? A bedliner? Some free oil changes? In negotiations, you never take the first offer they give you... They expect you to try lower so they are always a little high. I'm sure they are looking to get rid of the old models, even if they don't "seem" to be desperate (they don't want to show their weekness!)

Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Quick Reply: '08 Ram 5.7 Hemi vs '08 Ram 4.7