3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram QC Sub box and seat lift!!!! Check it out

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drw33079
Dirtydog that 1 cubic foot, That is your entire box right??? Not per sub???

No it's per sub. You forget that I took the carpet out which gave much more room than anticipated, plus I have no bottom to my box. It's all sealed up using the floorpan as the box's bottom. That's why I used Dynamat on the inside of the box for vibration and rattles. One of the reasons people go the Fiberglass mold method for extra clearance over the wood. As stated before I have .935cu/ft on on side and .985 on the other based upon my measurements. I used packing peanuts and then tranferred them over to a box where the calculations began.

If you can get people set up with an L7 sub. That's great. That will sound better than any other pre-fab box's out there. That's my biggest complaint and I wish I didn't have to build my own box because it was a PIA. However, you should give the buyer the option for round or squar hole incase they don't want the Kicker line.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-03-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 AM
bamaboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me know how the L5/L7 boxes come out. I would love to go with a setup like that seeing as how I don't want to take up all the space under my back seat but then still have a good hitting system. I'm sure you'll post some pics but will they come in only one carpet color or what? If so, what color are you going with?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
drw33079
Default sub box and seat lift

I was planning on using the spray in bed liner like other box manufacturers are doing instead of carpet. I will probably still have carpet as an option though for a little extra. When I do offer it in carpet, they will be available in black, grey and if I can match the color of the beigh I will offer it also. Now the L5/L7 boxes will take up all of the room under the seat that is the only practical way to get the room for the subs without lifting the rear seat up like 5 1/2" or 6". LOL!!!! That would be a little out of the question unless only 5 year olds were going to ride in the back seats. I should be able to post and maybe even sell those boxes in a couple of weeks. I do have one question though. Would it be more conveniant to have two boxes instead of one long box??? It would allow the owner to remove one if needed and be easier to put the in. What do you and averyone else think?? I personally think 2 short ones instead of 1 long one!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
drw33079
Default sub box and seat lift.

Oh yeah, dirtydog, I will be giving the option of round or square. I will just be doing some in the square first then round later. Thanks for the imput though. I did forget to mention that one.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:05 AM
bamaboy

As for the L5/L7 boxes, are you saying either 2 subs in one long box or one sub per box and have the option to only install one? I was looking for just a single 10" Solobaric. I'm not looking to rattle everything loose or have people hear me a mile away but some good quality bass and to really hit if/when I want it to. SO yeah, if you can have a single...then 2 seperate boxes.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 AM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

But were would i keep my floor jack

Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 AM
drw33079
Default sub box and seat lift

I believe I will make the box two seperate boxes for the two sub set up. That way the end user will have the option of one sub or two and which one they would rather have. Drivers side or passanger side. As for where to mount the amp, Mine is going to be under the drivers seat. My jack is under the passanger seat and I have plenty of room for the amp I have under the drivers side seat. My Wires will be ran under the carpet and then out small slits in the carpet right at where they will conect to the amp. This will be for the dual 10" set up. I already have the single shallow mount in mine and it sounds really good. It is actually for sale right now. It includes the box and seat lift kit only. no sub. You can get the pioneer shallow mount on ebay for around $100.00 it retails for $199.99 that is a really good deal. It is one of the prototypes but, it is finished carpet and all. The box is only 1 week old. The carpet job is not perfect. I did the carpet my self but, I have a carpet guy that will be doing all of the other boxes. I will also be finishing some of the other boxes with spray on bed coatings for rugedness and to prevent mud staining for the off roaders and construction guys that want that extra thump in their music. I have pictures I will post with this message. If any one is interested in it my personal email is drw33079@gmail.com The amp is under the drivers side rear seat now.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:40 PM
froto'sride
Professional

i wish i had the time to put something like this kit together. i have had my rear seat lifted for a year now and all wires ran but thats it. If you dont mind telling me what do you plan to use for your end caps on the lift. i used 2" square 1/8th walled but never really found a cap for the ends. oh the best thing is with the extra room even i don't mind riding back there.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

Question; Why are all of you guys worried about lifting your seat for your subs when the seat is hallow and does not affect the sub one bit? The thing you should most be worried about is your amp since there's not much space to add one. Under the seats, it gets warm. Where else do you want to put it?

Now, I understand completely if you're lifting your seat because your box actually sticks out those 3-4 inches and the seat won't fold down completely. But if it does fold down completely, you don't have to worry about the subs.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:02 AM
bamaboy

Duke...the reason they're so worried about lifting the seat is not that it would hinder sound but the fact that the box is taller than most you find on ebay or other premade boxes that are out there. The reason the box is taller is to produce more airspace for the sub and to give more clearance b/n the sub and seat bottom. You're right, if the box isn't as tall as the one's that drw is building (hence is has less airspace) then no, there is nothing to worry about except putting a grill over the sub. he's just making a larger box for more airspace to accomodate most subs req'd airspace.

Quick Reply: Ram QC Sub box and seat lift!!!! Check it out