3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

snorkle or other options for air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 PM
74charger
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewbeard
as for exhaust as long as you don't turn the truck off with it under water you will be fine, the exhaust will keep the water out of it. the only time you have to worry about it is if you drove like a 4cyl truck that idled way low and doesn't create lots of pressure
Well thats good to know, I could always keep my foot on the pedal a little to just to keep the rpms a little higher for a bit better pressure

Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by BrianD215
Haha, that thing I said about "chasing boats with your truck" seems to be correct. Yeah, if you're dunking your headlights in the hole, something bad is probably going to happen. I'm sure it SEEMED like a good idea at the time though. It always does.

I love my Hemi too much to risk drowning it. Trucks are primarily land vehicles after all.

And as we've sort of touched on in this thread, if you're going through water that deep you've got some other things to worry about as well. There are a lot of things under that hood that rely on being surrounded by air not water, like that big spinning fan right in the front.
hahaha damn didnt even think about that. Well lets just saay im gonna really try to avoid any water deeper then 2-3 feet. Most of my wheeling with be in summer anyways . We went on a spring trip this year and the ground was way to unsstable. Ppl would just be driving along what looked like fine ground and then there hole front end would dissapear in mud . So im gonna stick to the summer where most everything is dried up.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:00 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Well, that is true, but the exhaust is only one of the other issues. And yes, your exhaust will most likely bubble right on out of there without issue. People do this at boat launch ramps every day. But that is with the front end well above water. If you have your truck partially submerged and it does cut out on you or you let off the gas, water will run straight up those pipes.

You will definitely have to change like all your fluids afterwards though. Especially if you end up submerged for any real period of time. You can end up with water in your transmission and stuff like that.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

Originally Posted by 74charger
Well thats good to know, I could always keep my foot on the pedal a little to just to keep the rpms a little higher for a bit better pressure
wouldn't even need to do that. when i flooded my old truck - ironic considering the thread - the jeep that came into the pond with me to pull me out is a 4cyl and idled just fine under water without getting water in the exhaust, but like the other guy - sorry dont remember name atm - who flooded his ford, i was doing the same thing -screwing around and trying to go through the same thing faster - hit a canal in the pond and dropped the whole hood under water. luckily i didn't hydro lock the motor. just sold that truck yesterday to buy my '02 1500

Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM
74charger
Veteran

If only 4x4ing weren't so much fun I wouldnt have to deal with all this crap. I think its as if not more exspensive then when I was building up my charger. I really should just buy a second gen dodge and build an off road truck, But I love the look of the 3rd gen so much and It's so nice having all the comforts of the newer truck. I dont even bring a tent anymore theres so much room me and another person can both sleep in my truck lol. And not to mention the newer truck being so much more reliable, It seems all we do around here is work on other ppls truck cus they went with an older truck that isnt very reliable. And another reason i wanna do this truck is cus i finally wanna prove to so many doubters what a 2wd can actually do off-road with a lift and tires and lsd or locker. I took my truck off road once and all i have is crap little 245/65/17 a/t or something like that and i was actually the last one stuck lol. So with good tires and a few inch lift im hoping I can get some good video and photo's of what a nicely built 2wd can do

Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
74charger
Veteran

wouldn't even need to do that. when i flooded my old truck - ironic considering the thread - the jeep that came into the pond with me to pull me out is a 4cyl and idled just fine under water without getting water in the exhaust, but like the other guy - sorry dont remember name atm - who flooded his ford, i was doing the same thing -screwing around and trying to go through the same thing faster - hit a canal in the pond and dropped the whole hood under water. luckily i didn't hydro lock the motor. just sold that truck yesterday to buy my '02 1500
hahah yeah screwing around is what im worried about. Gonna have all the guys out there egging me on trying to make me do stuff i shouldnt do, and then im gonna try being the hero and end up ruining my truck haha. Im gonna be the only dodge though so gotta make dodge look good there 2 yota's, 2 jeeps, a nissan and a chevy so im gonna do my best to show off the dodge's capabilites

Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
BrianD215
Professional

Ooooh... I didn't realize you were rockin a 2WD. You might want to stay out of the pond (so to speak) for the most part. Those muddy holes can be a bitch to climb back out of. Not to mention all the water your truck is trying to push out of the way is extremely heavy and will be a lot of resistance to your forward motion. Having only two wheels turning to fight back can be a deal breaker. Once you get the lift that may change the rules a bit.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

I've taken some 2wd trucks into places that make 4x4's cringe, just gotta pick a good line. usually never even touch 4x4 in my truck until i get stuck. of course i don't rock crawl or anything to extreme.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 PM
74charger
Veteran

yeah im not hittin nothing deep the biggest worry is really splash up but i think i might do what one guy suggested and build some sort of shield that i can maybe strap to the grill to help block a good portion of anythign that wants to splash up. Im just looking to prepare for worst case scenerio. If there's a deep water hole that i dont think i can get through i can always just get someone in front of me and attach and tow rope to help pull me through. I'll probably be investing in a good winch to seeing as i will be a full size out with a bunch of smaller trucks theres always gonna be the chance they cant yank me out.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 PM
74charger
Veteran

I've taken some 2wd trucks into places that make 4x4's cringe, just gotta pick a good line. usually never even touch 4x4 in my truck until i get stuck. of course i don't rock crawl or anything to extreme.
Yeah i think ppl underestimate 2wd alot a good line will get you a long way especially with a locker and good tires as long as liek you said we're not rock crawling or bogging lol. Ive actually made it up a couple really steep hills that my friends jeep couldnt cus i was able to get more speed lol but its prety funny when i 2wd truck beats the 4wd jeep. the jeep was stock of course but still felt pretty good lol.

Quick Reply: snorkle or other options for air intake