3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coopers + Sand Bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 AM
HemiNerd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Coopers + Sand Bags

Just a 'pat on the back' thread for winter driving. I went and bought some sand bags last night for my truck (04 QCSB 4x4). I got (4) 60 lb. bags and put them over the rear axle in the bed. I had purchased the Cooper Zeon LTZ tires a couple months back and loved them since. Here in the midwest, we got about 3 inches of snow last night and I could tell school closed due to it. I drive early to work and the plows had done minimal work to the roads as of yet. Man, did my truck handle well! It felt great to be the champion of the road! I was gettin impatient with anyone in front of me, lol. Came out of my lot, engaged the 4x4 and that was the end of the story. I was watching cars, vans, minivans and everything without 4 wheel drive slide around and keep their tires in the vehicle in front of them's grooves.

Just thought I would mention it. Felt good to really use my pavement queen for something of purpose |:^) This was the first snow I had sand bags in my truck for and it made the world of a difference like EVERYONE says. Just didn't have a bad enough snow to need them until now though.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I always had sand bags in the back of my trucks for winter when growing up in upstate NY. I don't think I knew a soul who didn't.
Nice side benefit too, is that if you do get stuck, you can crack one open and use the sand to get traction...

Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
hugekikd 2007
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I always had sand bags in the back of my trucks for winter when growing up in upstate NY. I don't think I knew a soul who didn't.
Nice side benefit too, is that if you do get stuck, you can crack one open and use the sand to get traction...
same here, i put them in every truck i have had.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 AM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

When I lived in Canada, I would keep bags of Windsor Salt in the back. If I didn't have any I would just shovel a bunch of snow into the bed. Worked fine too.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 AM
SHNOOL
Rookie

I use bags of water softener salt. I go through about 4 bags a month anyway for the house. Last month I bought 10 bags @ 40lbs a piece. Every month I will buy another 4 bags. Will rotate the stock and keep the wheels glued to the ground for the winter.

It also smooths out her ride a little. The 2500 bounces around like a ball anyway empty.

Oh and, rather than sand for traction, I can use to melt snow (still cheaper than ice melt!).

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM
robeeto

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Not here bud.... my sand bags are frozen as solid as bricks...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

you sposed to put the sand bags into HD plastic bags to keep the moisture out. Yep, once that sand gets any moisture in it, it's a rock in the cold!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i used to run weight in the rear. i actually made a jig out of 2x4s to hold it to so it wouldnt slide and would stay over the axles at all times. but that was with the stock HPs with the toyos theres not as much of a need for the weight. they grip good. theywill break loose if i gas it hard, which happens quite often as i like to go sideways.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:01 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing I accessorized the truck with was 4 bags of tube sand over the rear axle. 250lbs. I bought them in early November before any snow to beat the empty shelves. I never wrapped them up and they are ice blocks, but they stay put as they are frozen to my mat. If they were in bags, they would slide all over unless I made a barrier.
They make a big diff. They make turning alittle harder as the front wants to push instead of the back wanting to slide around. I actually like the back sliding a bit so i can just get where I'm going and not slowing down to a crawl to make a turn. That's the only downside for me with weight in the back.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
rebel61021
Veteran

I have BFG Mud Terrain tires and this is the first winter in Northen IL. that I have not had to put weight in the bed of my truck. granted my last truck was only 2 wheel drive but I have not had to put the new truck in 4X4 yet ( I have just to have some fun ) but have not really needed it even with 4+ inches at times.

Quick Reply: Coopers + Sand Bags