3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding Power windows to a 2008, help

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
cclose1@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Power windows to a 2008, help

I would like to add power windows to my 2008 reg cab SL. But i am not sure how to go about it. I am a college student, so i have time, but not a lot of money, i am fairly handy and i have all the necessary tools. I would really like to keep it under 200 bucks if possible. Here are my questions:

Can i just add a motor/switches to the manual window regulator that is already in place?

Can i use switches from another vehicle? (u pull it?)

Where is the best place to buy OEM window motor/regulator?

Or Should i just break down and buy a kit from electric life?

Any other info/problems i should know about before tackling this project?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

it's prolly worth taking somewhere. this place called AG Motorsport will do an alarm, keyless entry and power windows for me for 700 out the door.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:40 AM
7mmmag1
Professional

dont forget youd have to change the door panels, if it were me id just get a new set of doors from pull a part that are the same color and just put the new doors on, and sell yours on ebay or something

that is if you can find the doors

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

do u really need to change door panels? u need to alter them...but not necesarrily change them, right?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
cclose1@gmail.com

You don't need to get new door panels, you can mod the panels and put the switch where the roll up handle used to be. Or cap the hole, and cut a new one for the switch.
What i really want to know: is it possible to add a motor to the window regulator already in place? else the electric life motor/regulator kit will run about 300 bucks (vs. $120).

I plan on either covering the door panels leather (my dad does auto upholstery for a living), or worst case use a plastic cap over the hole. Then i want to run the switches to the center console.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:18 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

sweet. can he upholster my doors too?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:19 PM
nicefarms1
Default So what're you going to do?

Got an ST w/ manual windows and locks too. What do you think you'll do? Get a motor and regulator from electric-life and switches from pull-a-part? That's what I want to do; I'd really like to get power locks even more than power windows; any ideas on that mod?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:28 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by nicefarms1
Got an ST w/ manual windows and locks too. What do you think you'll do? Get a motor and regulator from electric-life and switches from pull-a-part? That's what I want to do; I'd really like to get power locks even more than power windows; any ideas on that mod?
so...you just posted the same question this whole thread has been based on.
read before you post.

and seriously, you're better off getting it done somewhere. so worth it in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
nicefarms1
Default Power Windows

Originally Posted by derricksmash
so...you just posted the same question this whole thread has been based on.
read before you post.

and seriously, you're better off getting it done somewhere. so worth it in my opinion.
Was asking cclose1 what he has decided to do. Lots of partial bits and pieces of advice thrown his way on this thread, but nothing as to whether he has settled on—or whether there exists—a better option than the patently obvious: take it to a place.

But it is beneficial to know that someone with derricksmash's experience in mods, etc., thinks it's best to just take it in and have it done.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 PM
cclose1@gmail.com

I just spent my "fun money" on Carpet, Stereo, and Leather (snake skin pattern- i'll post some pics when it is done). So unless i can find a cheap alternative to the electric life kits I am going to wait till summer and spring for one of those.

I know that "just get it done" is the easy way to go. But, I am way to much of a do it yourselfer to pay to have it done, especially since i am a college student with all the time in the world. For me the fun part of fixing up your truck is working on your truck, and I like knowing that I did it myself.

If anyone has installed power windows or door locks themselves i would love to hear your advise and experiences.

Thanks for all the posts.

Quick Reply: Adding Power windows to a 2008, help