3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front levelling and air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
trax
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front levelling and air bags?

i want to get a levelling kit for my 04 dodge ram (4wd) but i want air bags in the back so when i do load it up it doesnt sag down in the back. but would putting air bags in the back raise the back end up again putting the nose down? or do air bags totally deflate and let your springs do all the work?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

only if inflated when the truck is unloaded. you will never do that though, becuase it makes the ride extremely painful over railroad tracks....

Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
trax
Rookie

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
only if inflated when the truck is unloaded. you will never do that though, becuase it makes the ride extremely painful over railroad tracks....
extremely painful? how? the ride is really nice as it is now, how would air bags when diflated (so its using the leafs) make it more painful? (i dont understand) and do you mean when deflated it will be level?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

NO, even if I inflate my air bags to their 100 lb. capacity (which is more than double what I've ever had to do no matter how much load I've put in the bed or towed) it only raises the rear about 3/4"... It's not a concern at all... Not to mention you deflate to 5-10 lbs. for normal driving anyway...

Old 01-31-2009, 06:48 PM
trax
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
NO, even if I inflate my air bags to their 100 lb. capacity (which is more than double what I've ever had to do no matter how much load I've put in the bed or towed) it only raises the rear about 3/4"... It's not a concern at all... Not to mention you deflate to 5-10 lbs. for normal driving anyway...
so do some air bag kits come with regulators or something? how do you know how much psi or gain you get from the bags? i know some kits come with a compressor but thats more expensive then buying the normal ones you just pump up with an external compressor. and when at minimum capacity theres no difference at all between the back or the front? and how did it improve your ride?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

i was being a little harsh and exaggerated a little. With the airbags full, it will ride more rough than stock, you will noticed. When the bags are deflated, you wont even know the bags are on the truck as far as ride height.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

there are options out the a$$. I just put the valve in my receiver. I only use mine basically a couple times a month. My ATV at 700# sits so far back because of the toolbox that my truck goes way down in the back so that at night, my low beams are halfway up the trees. 30# makes it perfectly level.

You can buy a manual system with an onboard inflator or go hog wild with an auto level kit if you want. My opinion, for occasional use, what I have is fine, I have a compressor in the tool box, but even if I didn't I have one in the garage, plus there is always one at a gas station, car wash, etc. Now if I was towing all the time, you can't beat an auto leveling system...

http://www.airliftcompany.com/load_support_index.html

Name:  HPIM2897.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  70.7 KB

Old 01-31-2009, 08:50 PM
trax
Rookie

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
there are options out the a$$. I just put the valve in my receiver. I only use mine basically a couple times a month. My ATV at 700# sits so far back because of the toolbox that my truck goes way down in the back so that at night, my low beams are halfway up the trees. 30# makes it perfectly level.

You can buy a manual system with an onboard inflator or go hog wild with an auto level kit if you want. My opinion, for occasional use, what I have is fine, I have a compressor in the tool box, but even if I didn't I have one in the garage, plus there is always one at a gas station, car wash, etc. Now if I was towing all the time, you can't beat an auto leveling system...

http://www.airliftcompany.com/load_support_index.html

thats perfect! thanks so much.

when i save up enough or run into some more money im probably going to get a 4" lift and some air bags!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 PM
bigwood

..........wrong thread sry

Last edited by bigwood; 03-03-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Quick Reply: Front levelling and air bags?