3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How good is the stock stereo???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009 | 07:10 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

raminator i want your grill man give it to me buddy lol

Old 02-02-2009 | 07:43 PM
Ddev2000

I have a feeling that the 66W is total. Most aftermarket head units advertise 50x4 or at least 45x4.
I am in the process of gathering up all my materials for an aftermarket system. Got the head unit, dash kit, wiring harness (expensive), XM module (waiting to arrive), amp, sub, sub enclosure (waiting to arrive).
My only concern at this point is if the door speakers are strong enough. I know the front speakers really hit even with the stock radio, but the rears are just fillers. I believe this is done by the stock radio, so I will just have to wait and see after I get the new deck installed. If the door speakers need to be replaced, then so be it.

Old 02-02-2009 | 07:47 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Ddev2000
I have a feeling that the 66W is total. Most aftermarket head units advertise 50x4 or at least 45x4.
I am in the process of gathering up all my materials for an aftermarket system. Got the head unit, dash kit, wiring harness (expensive), XM module (waiting to arrive), amp, sub, sub enclosure (waiting to arrive).
My only concern at this point is if the door speakers are strong enough. I know the front speakers really hit even with the stock radio, but the rears are just fillers. I believe this is done by the stock radio, so I will just have to wait and see after I get the new deck installed. If the door speakers need to be replaced, then so be it.
check audiovideodimension.com I got all 4 Alpine door speakers for 100 with free shipping.

Old 02-02-2009 | 07:59 PM
Ddev2000

What size speakers are in the doors? I believe I have them up in the dash too...

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:06 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion

What size speakers are in the doors? I believe I have them up in the dash too...
front 6x9's
back 5 1/4
thats for 02-05 idk if they changed in the later models

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:24 PM
nim81
Record Breaker

i had infinity in my 02 when i got it and i thought it was junk. it sounded horrible and the sorry excuse for an amp was bypassed the 2nd day it was in my driveway. i upgraded all speakers to mtx thunder 6000's and will never ever look back! and the stock head unit was replaced with a kenwood.
all of my dash-board speakers were bypassed and im getting ready to move my tweeters up higher, they are now in the oem speaker area and im moving them the the little area adjacent to the mirror, where the lil infinity badge is.

Old 02-02-2009 | 08:38 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Check out www.crutchfield.com for help....they sell all of those harnesses that you would need to add an amp...
You can also enter your vehicle info and it will tell you all of the sizes and depths, etc......

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:17 PM
raminator08
|
Record Breaker

i dont know if its 50x4 wattts because i think i remember hearing it was 50/4 watts so its like around 18 watts per speaker. also they audio people said the dodge ram stereo was pretty good but it doesnt have a pre amp or sub outlet.
so what everyone is saying is that it is better just to buy a new aftermarket head unit.
how much would it be to but all the needed equipment to add a sub and amp to the stock radio?

Old 02-02-2009 | 10:59 PM
Ddev2000

Originally Posted by raminator08
how much would it be to but all the needed equipment to add a sub and amp to the stock radio?
That's a loaded question. The adapter that people were mentioning above shouldn't be that expensive; you are just tapping into a couple wires. Then as far as the amp, sub, and enclosure; you get what you pay for, right? you could end up spending quite a bit with a completely custom solution, OR get a cheap bass package from crutchfield and be in and out with <$300.

Old 02-02-2009 | 11:04 PM
raminator08
|
Record Breaker

That's a loaded question. The adapter that people were mentioning above shouldn't be that expensive; you are just tapping into a couple wires. Then as far as the amp, sub, and enclosure; you get what you pay for, right? you could end up spending quite a bit with a completely custom solution, OR get a cheap bass package from crutchfield and be in and out with <$300.
actually i was talking about everything i would need minus the sub, box, and amp.
i want to know how much i would be spending on adapters, wires, etc to justify not buying a new stereo

Quick Reply: How good is the stock stereo???