3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009 | 01:44 AM
Ram6112
|
Default Stereo Wiring

So I have a 08 Ram Single Cab 2wd. I actually traded my POS chevy for it. Anyways I had an amplifier and some subs in the chev and I would like to install them into the Ramski... Does anyone have the Wiring Diagram for the Stereo? I don't want to do the hit and miss cutting that most people do.

Old 02-03-2009 | 01:54 AM
dodgeorgethit
Professional

Buy a harness at walmart

Old 02-03-2009 | 10:18 AM
osufans
Veteran

are you just wanting to tap the speaker leads for the line in on your amp?

a harness lets you add an aftermarket stereo, but i've never seen one that just lets you tap off the speaker leads.

the remote turn on is the blue wire, the speaker wires are usually gray, purple, green and white. not sure which are the front/rear or right/left.

Old 02-03-2009 | 01:30 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

This is for a 2007. I don't know how much has changed, but it might be at least close. Copied from the12volt.com:

+12V: Grey / Red
Radio Ground: Black and Black/Light Green
Radio Ignition (CAN data bus) ** See Note
LF Speaker +: Dark Green/Yellow
LF Speaker -: Dark Green/Light Blue
RF Speaker +: Gray/yellow
RF Speaker -: Gray/Light Blue
LR Speaker +: Gray/Light Green
LR Speaker -: Gray/Dark Green
RR Speaker +: Dark Green/Light Green
RR Speaker -: Dark Green/Gray

P.S. first post in a looooooooong time.

EDIT: And here's the note -
** NOTE: Ignition can be found as Pink/White in the Ignition Harness

Last edited by bigjrussell; 02-03-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Content
Old 02-03-2009 | 01:47 PM
osufans
Veteran

yeah, after i saw your post i realized i was quoting what most aftermarket wiring colors are. i'm not sure what the stock wiring colors are.

Old 02-03-2009 | 05:01 PM
Alldead

DO NOT start cutting up your wires! I just removed my stock stereo as well. I was about to start cutting wires when I found that there is no 12v Switch On supply in the harness of (what I found out '05+) Rams. This will save you hours of work and possible damage to equipment:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120SVI6...+dodge+harness

This plugs DIRECTLY into the Ram's connector and you splice into the harness that comes with the aftermarket stereo receiver.

I went to Best Buy and they wanted to charge $138 for this module... a small shop near me wanted $150.

I believe that there is another version of this harness that makes amplifier installations easier as well, but I didn't bother looking into that.

If you have the premium Infinity sound package, and/or stearing wheel controls, you're in for a doozy installation from what I've heard. Have a pro do this .

edit: I also want to save you some searching time, Crutchfield also carries the single DIN mounting kit that fits in our truck. It accomodates the damn 'half moon' volume and tuner that was such a terrible design. (If you have the navigation then ignor this!)

Last edited by Alldead; 02-03-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 02-03-2009 | 07:47 PM
bigjrussell
Captain

Cutting wires is fine to get your line out source. For a 12v source I just ran a wire to the fuse box up front and pushed it in with a 12v fuse that is only on with the ignition on. Been that way for 2 years and no problems yet.

Old 02-04-2009 | 10:15 AM
osufans
Veteran

Originally Posted by Alldead
This plugs DIRECTLY into the Ram's connector and you splice into the harness that comes with the aftermarket stereo receiver.
This looks like an aftermarket wiring adapter...how does this work with the factory stereo, while still providing a remote out/pwr to an amp?

Old 02-04-2009 | 11:20 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by osufans
This looks like an aftermarket wiring adapter...how does this work with the factory stereo, while still providing a remote out/pwr to an amp?

I was told by an employee of both Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix that my 2008 Ram was in need for a Canbus adapter regardless of any Audio systems. They all need it. I didn't wanna spend $80 if I didn't have to. So I was able to buy a harness adapter from Walmart myslef and it provided me with all the speaker wires, a power and a ground that wasn't in the slot on the other adapter. I had to splice into other wires even still with the adapter. Ususally there's 2, but they don't privide the other adpater because the wires aren't there. You have to find them yourself. Canbus would have cost me $80. I think even with the wiring behind the stereo, it still lacked wires to tap into and they needed to be found. The canbus I'm pretty sure still has to tap into wires just the same I would imagine? I couldn't justify $80. Instead the $11.99 one piece adapter did me fine. I knew where all the wires were. Pick up an alarm diagram..hint..hint

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-04-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2009 | 01:35 PM
osufans
Veteran

So this must be something new to the 2008's? I'll have to look into it, as I'm sorta an audiophile myself...done quite a few installations, but by all means I'm not an expert. Time to do some research on Canbus.

Quick Reply: Stereo Wiring