3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question: Black or Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 PM
ried69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
If you decide to not use the factory black one and want to sell it I would buy it from you. I have been looking for one with no luck so far.
It'd be stupid to buy it. The grilles are in different shapes than our pre 2006 grilles. So it wouldn't fit and if you got the whole grille front, then it would fit very very awkwardly if it even fit on by the bumper.

Here's my opinion on what you should do.
Get black headlights first. The grilles on these trucks were designed to look proper either body color or chrome with black inserts. I don't know are you talking the whole entire grille or just the insert, black? Blacking the headlights will keep it from being a black spot in the center and help you to expand it outward. Something else that might look cool is getting the hood stripe and spears on it, if you could find one designed to fit without the scoop. But it's up to you what you like best, that's just my thought on it.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

If you decide to not use the factory black one and want to sell it I would buy it from you. I have been looking for one with no luck so far.
yeah sorry but i dont think its going to fit your year truck since his is 06+
you should try craigslist or your nearest major city or ebay. i just searched "dodge ram grill" and found lots of results

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Here's how your truck would look with a completely black grille and insert, tinted headlights, and a body color bumper
Name:  frontpic.png
Views: 73
Size:  447.5 KB
I think that it looks pretty sweet, and it might not look as bad as I first thought.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ried69
Here's how your truck would look with a completely black grille and insert, tinted headlights, and a body color bumper

I think that it looks pretty sweet, and it might not look as bad as I first thought.
yeah i like it. could you make the grill shell body color and leave the inserts black? that might look nice too or make the inserts chrome on that picture.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I was thinking about the blue grill shell and the black grill inserts....hmmm....

nice color pic, btw..

Old 02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raminator08
yeah sorry but i dont think its going to fit your year truck since his is 06+
you should try craigslist or your nearest major city or ebay. i just searched "dodge ram grill" and found lots of results
Aw man, I didn't even notice his was an 06+ grill. I guess I will keep looking for the black grill I need. I got all excited I might have found a set that I didn't even look at his truck.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea man def. do blue grill shell and black inserts. im doing the same thing except silver grill shell

Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Aw man, I didn't even notice his was an 06+ grill. I guess I will keep looking for the black grill I need. I got all excited I might have found a set that I didn't even look at his truck.
dont you already have a black grill?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rssjib
I was thinking about the blue grill shell and the black grill inserts....hmmm....

nice color pic, btw..

That is exactly what i'm doing. I'm getting my grill shell and lower chrome bumper painted/powder coated and a roll pan in the back. I just painted all my emblems matte black, and am also getting matte black wheels.

I don't know why you'd bother buying a black grill shell. The chrome one on your truck would be easy to paint blue. Whatever you do decide, at least get the black piece on the front bumper painted blue

Old 02-08-2009, 12:06 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
That is exactly what i'm doing. I'm getting my grill shell and lower chrome bumper painted/powder coated and a roll pan in the back. I just painted all my emblems matte black, and am also getting matte black wheels.

I don't know why you'd bother buying a black grill shell. The chrome one on your truck would be easy to paint blue. Whatever you do decide, at least get the black piece on the front bumper painted blue
I have a chrome grille shell that was painted. The paint is coming off in sheets.
Granted, its all about prep but prep is far easier on a non chrome piece.

Quick Reply: Question: Black or Chrome?