3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question: Black or Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeMiGoD
I have a chrome grille shell that was painted. The paint is coming off in sheets.
Granted, its all about prep but prep is far easier on a non chrome piece.
Powder coat

Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 AM
mmstar23
Champion

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Powder coat
powder coat will suffice for the bumper, granted that its metal....the grille shell is not...powder coat cant be applied to the grille shell.

if this was my truck, i would paint the grille shell blue to match along with the upper bumper cover, that needs to be paint matched! from there i would go with the chrome insert, but if your trying to eliminate chrome and add black accents such as wheels and your step bars, then the black inserts will help tie into that appearance. just my take on it.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 AM
raminator08
Record Breaker

what type of places do powder coating or could i do it myself. i think i might powder coat my bumpers black but im not sure how much it would cost or hard it is

Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
mmstar23
Champion

as far as where, not sure since you would have to check a local shop. this would have to be done professionally since its not like spraying on paint. at first it like paint because your spraying on the powder like paint. then it has to be baked to a certain degree to get the durability and gloss from the powder.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:41 AM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mmstar23
as far as where, not sure since you would have to check a local shop. this would have to be done professionally since its not like spraying on paint. at first it like paint because your spraying on the powder like paint. then it has to be baked to a certain degree to get the durability and gloss from the powder.
sounds pricey

Old 02-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mmstar23
powder coat will suffice for the bumper, granted that its metal....the grille shell is not...powder coat cant be applied to the grille shell.
There are ways to powder coat plastic now at low temperatures. I already had my estimates done by a huge powder coat company about 30 mins away.

Originally Posted by raminator08
sounds pricey
Yea, it isn't cheap. However it's usually more durable.

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 02-08-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Well I put the black grill that I originally had back in. With the black accents, it looks pretty cool. I really wanted that chrome OEM grill when I first got the truck, but now I see so many Dodges with that grill..........like EVERY one....

So, it is kind of nice to have the black one again. I will take a pic when it is light outside, like tomorrow....and update the sig AGAIN...

I want to get that black grill surround like the ST trucks have.....if I don't like it black, I will get it painted electric blue.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paint the outside of the grill shell your blue. then paint the cross-members of the grill black.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Dang Bullet...............that is just too much trouble! LOL

I saw that one guy who has that....his truck is red and he did a video of it. Nice job to be sure.....but you know, I am all about the quick fix....

If I can buy it already done, then I am all over that! I may get that black one first, then go from there....

Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rssjib
Dang Bullet...............that is just too much trouble! LOL

I saw that one guy who has that....his truck is red and he did a video of it. Nice job to be sure.....but you know, I am all about the quick fix....

If I can buy it already done, then I am all over that! I may get that black one first, then go from there....
lol yea i saw that that video too. im just bought a used grill to paint silver. i didnt want to use mine and mess up and be pissed lol this one was cheap so its all good. ill let you know how it turns out. sanded half of it today

Quick Reply: Question: Black or Chrome?