3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing the 4.7L with a Hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
V10Venom
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the 4.7L with a Hemi?

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'm looking for a more definitive answer than I can find. I'm wanting to basically replace my 4.7L with a 5.7L Hemi. I want to find a short block and put comp cams and P&P heads on.

Does the motor bolt right up to the trans or will it need a different bellhousing?

I know it will need a Hemi ECM but how much of the wiring harness will need to be changed out?

How bad will this build be for towing wise if I have a good tune? I'm also contemplating a torque converter. Would that be bad also? I'm guessing so.

Anyways, I'm sure I have a million questions, but that's a start.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

set aside 2-3k for the swap and that's doing all the work on your own and a slightly used engine. You will more then likely have to upgrade the tranny when you get a chance. It will bolt right on from my understanding. There is a gentleman who did a 4.7l swap from his dakota to a hemi. He had a hell of a time with the wires though; I saw pics and it was massive wires everywhere lol.

He has a yellow dakota and he did all the work himself. I dont remember if he has a dodgeforum account or another one where I read it. You best bet is to get in touch with him and he will square you away.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM
mmstar23
Champion

better off saving for a new truck

Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
06CountryBoy5.7
Professional

if you are going to do an engine swap to waste your time and hard earned money puting a hemi in your truck. The reason you want to do the swap is because you want mroe power right? Go get a big block or 383 stroker. Now that is worth the money.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by V10Venom
I'm sure it's been discussed before but I'm looking for a more definitive answer than I can find. I'm wanting to basically replace my 4.7L with a 5.7L Hemi. I want to find a short block and put comp cams and P&P heads on.

Does the motor bolt right up to the trans or will it need a different bellhousing?

I know it will need a Hemi ECM but how much of the wiring harness will need to be changed out?

How bad will this build be for towing wise if I have a good tune? I'm also contemplating a torque converter. Would that be bad also? I'm guessing so.

Anyways, I'm sure I have a million questions, but that's a start.
I would honestly just look for and buy a newer truck. Alot easier and FAR less headache and a vehicle upgrade...who doesnt like getting a new truck?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06CountryBoy5.7
if you are going to do an engine swap to waste your time and hard earned money puting a hemi in your truck. The reason you want to do the swap is because you want mroe power right? Go get a big block or 383 stroker. Now that is worth the money.
That sounds like a better idea. If you are going to go through all that trouble you might as well make it worth your while and drop something bigger in there.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:20 PM
matthewbeard
Veteran

put that 2k-3k as a down payment on a 5.7 Hemi truck

Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
tuckkin22's

im going to be doing the hemi swap in my dakota with in the next few weeks. looking for the same info.

this is what i know. they use the same transmission as hemi rams, so they bolt right up. you will need to modify your oil pan to clear the cross member, and form what ie ead its not a terrible job wiring in the harness. even tho im trying to use a complete ram harness

Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran

I remember a guy in a dakota swapped in a 5.7L. I forgot his name but he had to make a new oil pan and some other stuff. I think youll be fine with your budget man. I do remember the tranny was bolted right up from what he said, and he had a beast of a time with the wiring.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you still thinking about doing a Hemi swap ?

Quick Reply: Replacing the 4.7L with a Hemi?