3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My friends 04 durango's engine blew! and they wont honor warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM
nemesisprogram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My friends 04 durango's engine blew! and they wont honor warranty

Ok, so they said there was a lot of slush which caused the engine to blow and he did not have any reciepts to prove oil changes becuase he does it himself. He has the 7 year 70k mile powertrain warranty. Is he screwed?

Last edited by nemesisprogram; 02-10-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by nemesisprogram
Ok, so they said there was a lot of slush which caused the engine to blow and he did not have any reciepts to prove oil changes becuase he does it himself. He has the 7 year 70k mile powertrain warranty. Is he screwed?
Read this: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm

Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your friend have any receipts for oil and filters he bought? I do all my own work and keep all the receipts. I also write down the mileage I change the oil at (for my records).

Try to reason with the dealer stating the oil changes do NOT have to be done at a service shop and that your lawyer will be in contact. Then got pay a lawyer to write up a letter to the dealership...may be well worth the $200 - $300 for an hour or two of the lawyer's time compared to a several thousand dollar engine swap.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 AM
sarguy01
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even with a lawyer it may be hard to prove the oil was changed without some record of it. my dealer told me a written log will do and that i did not have to have them change it.

it may look shady if he just came up with a log out of the blue.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by nemesisprogram
what engine? the 4.7 have known sludge problems.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Cole's dad

What do you mean that there was alot of "slush" which caused the engine to blow? Is this the sludge problems that i read about a bit on here? I don't know how good these 4.7 motors are but from what i have read, the 5.7' s and 4.7's are pretty equal in durability. I've heard of a person who didn't have receipts for his oil changes with his stratus and they didn't want to cover it so he "found" some from a friendly garage with appropriate dates and mileage and everything worked out perfect. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: My friends 04 durango's engine blew! and they wont honor warranty