3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tonneau!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:02 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
74charger...does yours collect water? My old tonneau had 3 braces in the middle to give the tonneau a curved shape to allow water to run off. i dont see it in the access ones. im looking at the vanish. apparently extang has a line to rival the access line...
I have a lund soft tonneau, only issue i have with it is that it's just a little bit on the loose side. This keeps it easy to pu ton in winter, but also makes it flap a bit when on highway. doesn't leak. cost about $230 shipped. autoanything.com

Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

In the market for a tonneau cover. I had an Extang Vinyl roll up on my s-10, but dont think the soft ones look as good on the big trucks. However, money is an issue. I cant be droppin $1000 on something that really is just for looks (and mild mpg improvement from reduced drag). Here's what my requirements are:

1. Look good
2. Able to be removed easily to haul large items without prior planning.
3. Cost efficient

I dont know, after those perameters, seems like soft tonneau is what would fit best. How will that look?? Anyone have pics?
www.dealsofsteel.com

Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
74charger
Veteran

74charger...does yours collect water? My old tonneau had 3 braces in the middle to give the tonneau a curved shape to allow water to run off. i dont see it in the access ones. im looking at the vanish. apparently extang has a line to rival the access line...
Mine also has those three braces, it still however does collect a little bit of water sometimes in one spot. I guess that would be one of the disadvantages of a soft one and the fact that like you said its not nice and shiny lol. Its a truxedo by the way so you should check out there site. Mines the truxedo original they've got 3-4 other ones now, maybe they are better at shedding water

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming!

I've narrowed it down to two: The Access Vanish, and the Extang Revolution. Both are around the $400 price range and made with very high quality. The Revolution doesnt use velcro, but apparently something new that i've never seen before. Not sure how it'd work. With the vanish, it looks like it'd work perfect for what I want, but again, its hard to trust the manufacturer on the actual performance of it.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 PM
MTD llc

Which one did you end up choosing. If you haven't chosen yet I'll try to sway you a little more

My friend has an Access on his Ford, after 9 years the velcro started to wear out. They sent him new velcro strips no charge. He wasn't even the original purchaser of the cover...

I've been really happy with my Access original, works smoothly even when it was -20

Old 02-22-2009, 02:22 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the Access Lorado. Moesperformance had a SICK deal on it. $320 for the lorado cover (which retails for over 500). I installed it a few days ago and LOVE it. very easy to install and roll up literally takes 20 seconds. Its very tight (and adjustable) and waterproof. It does flap a bit more on the highway than i'd like, but i cant hear it thanks to the Mud tires and loud exhaust. Maybe I'll put some velcro along the support bars and under the vinyl to keep it from flapping.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:54 AM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

It does flap a bit more on the highway than i'd like, but i cant hear it thanks to the Mud tires and loud exhaust.
that's the spirit!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good choice. just installed my access limited edition the other day. mine is tight and snug, and doesnt make a noticable sound at all at hwy speeds. and thats with stock exhaust and quiet tires.

Quick Reply: Tonneau!!