3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.7 EGR tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
schwhack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.7 EGR tips?

howdy folks,im new to the site,i have been a chevy guy since birth and just made the switch a few weeks back.so far i love my dodge,but the other day my check engine light came on and i went by the auto parts place and they told me it was the EGR valve.

I have a 2005 1500 qc with the 4.7,that only has 27,500 miles on it.i picked it up a few weeks back for $12,500 which i thought was a great deal,for such low mileage and the body is in excellent shape.

the other day,it was a little cold out and i cranked up and the engine reved up to about 2000 R.P.M.'s and droped and the check engine light came on,i guessing the egr stuck for a sec,not sure.

i have search the site over and cant find anything on 4.7 or 3.7 egr's. i bought a book and all it says is its on the rear of the left head...change it.

any tips on this,like best place to order one,best way to do it,or hey,i will come by and give you a hand with it,would be great.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 AM
schwhack

nobody?

Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM
schwhack

so im guessing this uncharted territory and im on my own.i did find an egr at abc for 46 dollars,but they had to order it.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
yo100
Default Changed my 4.7 egr about a year ago

I took the air box off first. Then remove the screw that holds the tube to the intake manifold. Carefully, pull the tube out of the manifold. Remove the electrical connector. If I remember right, it has a small red pin or plate that must be removed from the connector before you can dissconnect the plug (a real pain). Remove the two bolts that hold the egr down. One from on top and one from underneith. Transfer the tube from the old egr to the new egr, paying attention to the position of the tube. Reinstall in the reverse order of the removal. Got mine at NAPA for about $65 with both gaskets.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 PM
schwhack

thank you yo100,that helps alot.i feel a little more comfortable about doing it now.my part should be in tuesday,which is my day off,so im going to work on it then.its almost time for a plug change according to the service schedule,so i willl prolly do that too.

thanks again man,

Quick Reply: 4.7 EGR tips?