3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi starting issue occasionally

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 AM
freerider6_9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi starting issue occasionally

Hey guys i have been lurking around here for a while and am hitting my first issue with my truck. Its a 2005 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and every so often it wont want to start, it turns over and all but when it does kind of start it shuts down like it would if not using a chiped key but when you turn it over again it will just crank untill i give it gas then it roars to life.. like its flooding or something. is there an update i should be getting done or what? I work as an apprentice in a shop and have looked with the scan tool and it doesnt show anything out f the ordinary while in datastream or anything... anyone else run into this before? All the truck has is vforce exhaust a six inch lift and 35s as well as the good ol hemi tick...thanks in advance guys

Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I'd check the fuel pressure...won't take long in your shop and needs to be verified anyway.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Barbarossa13

I have the same exact problem and I've heard it's a leaking injector? There was a post on here not too long ago about it but I never heard if that was in fact the culprit or not. Let us know what you find out at your shop, good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 AM
freerider6_9

well i thought it might be a slobbery injector so i put some injector cleaner in it and so far no more wierd starts..

Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Barbarossa13

I'm going to try that also, what brand of injector cleaner did you use?

Old 02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
tazmyster

I had the same issue, only after the truck sat for more than an hour. If you restarted the truck after 10~15 minutes the truck would start normally. Ended up being a loss of fuel pressure and I had to have the fuel pump replaced. I had this happen 2 times, both while under warranty thankfully. Its and easy check for a mechanic to do. While the truck is shut off you should maintain a certain level of fuel pressure. Mine was dropping off slowly and eventually would cause the hard starting you are describing.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Barbarossa13

Mine is the opposite of what you had tazmyster. It doesn't want to start like at a grocery store. It starts fine when it's been sitting a while, but then when you leave the grocery store and it's been sitting like 30 minutes you have to push the gas pedal down a bit. I seafoamed the truck yesterday hoping that might do something but I don't think it did. I still have the 70k warranty on the truck, but am scared to even go near the stealership!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:18 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Barbarossa13
Mine is the opposite of what you had tazmyster. It doesn't want to start like at a grocery store. It starts fine when it's been sitting a while, but then when you leave the grocery store and it's been sitting like 30 minutes you have to push the gas pedal down a bit. I seafoamed the truck yesterday hoping that might do something but I don't think it did. I still have the 70k warranty on the truck, but am scared to even go near the stealership!
i know what you mean...is it the chrysler warranty? cause if it inst then if you have a trusted mechanic you know then take it to him and see if he will honor the warranty. ill never take my truck to the dealer after i found out that my mechanic can take my warranty, and hes experienced with dodge so it works out well.

Quick Reply: hemi starting issue occasionally