3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding a drain plug to front and rear diff!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM
sdsuslacker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding a drain plug to front and rear diff!

I change all my fluids as required, but I want to make the job easier. Is it possible to add drain plugs to the front and rear diff covers? I have found after market covers, but I don't want to pay $300 for a new cover.

I figured I would do a complete removal every other time so that I can do the visual inspection. I tow every now and then, but other than that I am not to hard on the truck.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:23 PM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can, But be careful, You Do not want a leak in your Diff. Also A drain plug would not allow you to empty all the fluid from the Diff. Part ofthe reason for taking off the cover is to check for debris, Which with a drain plug wouldn't empty because in general it would all rest on the bottom of the Diff, Thus not drain out the plug with the rest of the fluid.

With that said, My Ferd came stock with a drain plug in the Diff. and the tranny pan. First time I ever saw a drain plug in either.

It was pretty funny, when I got under the truck for the first time to drain my oil I accidently pulled the plug for the tranny pan and freaked out because the fluid coming out was red. Upon closer inspection I realized I shouldn't try to change the oil in my truck after multiple mixed alcoholic drinks anymore.

Last edited by traker1001; 02-14-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really though...whats the point? you change your fluids every 15k-20k if you're seriously **** about it. you'd be perfectly fine only changing every 30k...its not like the engine oil that you change every 3k. you're probably only going to change the diff fluid 5 times or less in the time you own the truck. is it really worth all the work?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can---if you know how to braze. I did that to my old 93 Dak because I changed the tranny fluid once/yr, and got really tired of the mess and getting my arms and shirts soaked w/ tranny fluid a 1/4" steel pipe coupling cut in half, and a pipe plug. I like to use the type that have an allen wrench hex in them, but most any would do, then its easy to just dump the oil into the pan w/o all the mess

Quick Reply: Adding a drain plug to front and rear diff!