3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

getting open country MT 35's will I have issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
redbeardmcg
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting open country MT 35's will I have issues?

Greetings to all, it's been a while since I've been around!

I have an '07 1500 4x4 with stock 20's and a 2.5" leveling kit in the front. I got $11k back in my tax refund and figured my truck deserved part of it! A buddy of mine just did a 6" lift on his Chevy with the 35" MT's and I was impressed with how well they did on the pavement which is important to me.

I believe the tire I need is the Toyo Open Country MT 35X12.50R20LT (360240) is that correct? Will I need a wheel spacer? I have the stock 20" chrome wheels with the factory 33's on them and they are leaking all over the place and nearly bald so I want to get these tires put on by Saturday when I get my brand spankin' new 16 spark plugs put in (damn you HEMI!).

I'll be doing some moderate off-roading this Sunday with potential for more (towing a few quads up north might try out the new tires) so if there are any problems I'll know right away!

Oh ya, if you have pics of your rig with this set up I'd love to see em.

Thanks guys!

-Ryan

Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You'll have the clearance to fit the 35's, but you'll need wheel spacers if you intend on keeping the stock wheels, you won't have the backspacing for it with the stockers. Also, keep in mind much past mild off-roading will cause you issues, you just won't have much room for articulation with just a level kit...

Old 02-17-2009, 10:37 AM
kicker417
Veteran

i have 35 with the leveling kit and spacers and they do just fine no problems at all you should be fine and i have done some hardcore muddin you will be fine

Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 AM
redbeardmcg
Professional

Thanks for the reply Hammer. What size spacers would you recommend? Any particular brand? How much will these run me? Will there be a degradation in ride quality with spacers installed?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this the right way. I have a 6" lift in my scopes but it will most likely not happen until mid July.

B.T.W. is that FreeBSD chuck in your logo or am I the only Unix geek here?

Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
redbeardmcg
Professional

Hey kicker, do you have any pictures?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM
redbeardmcg
Professional

I hear spacers are not safe. I'd like to stick with a 20" rim to maintain the factory style I just want bigger tires. So it looks like my options at this point are either get new rims and tires or just stay with a 33" tire.

How much backspacing would I need to fit 35" tires on my truck?

I was looking at these:

http://mhtwheels.com/wheel.cfm?cat=489

Any opinions? If it made sense I'd also be willing to move down to an 18" rim.

-Ryan

Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

I believe its either 4.25" or 4.5" backspacing to make it work the best. I think your 6" lift idea would be the best move...it would look alot better also in my opinion. until then, new wheels, level it and stick those bad boys on there. Also, with 35.12.50's, you are almost too wide for a stock rim but it will still work. Also, there are "safe" spacers and unsafe ones, so you could make it work with your stock wheels if you really wanted to from what i understand.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM
redbeardmcg
Professional

Originally Posted by Redone4x4
I believe its either 4.25" or 4.5" backspacing to make it work the best. I think your 6" lift idea would be the best move...it would look alot better also in my opinion. until then, new wheels, level it and stick those bad boys on there. Also, with 35.12.50's, you are almost too wide for a stock rim but it will still work. Also, there are "safe" spacers and unsafe ones, so you could make it work with your stock wheels if you really wanted to from what i understand.
Thanks for the response! If there is a safe way to get these to fit I could order the tires today and have them put on tomorrow. Do you have any more information on "safe spacers"?

Those rims I posted have a 5" backspacing. Do you think that would be an issue? I can get warehouse prices on most brands of rims / tires I just need to find the right ones. I'm sure I want the 35" open country MT tires but if I can't keep the factory rims I need to pick a tire. If I can't afford it I may just have to get a cheapo set of factory-ish tires :-/

-Ryan

Old 02-17-2009, 02:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been around lifted 4 Wheel Drive trucks since I was about 13 years old and I just turned 42. For years the saying was that wheel spacers were not safe, especially with the torque exerted on wheels with larger than normal tires.
I've had people show me broken ones, but have never seen one go. And I don't seem to hear about them breaking in about 10 years now, despite the fact that they are used more now than I can ever remember.
I wouldn't use them myself, but I know so many people now who have them, that I won't really advise against them. I still think you are better off with a wheel with the proper offset and backspacing. Just find a brand with a good reputation or ask the guys who have them who DO push their trucks some off-road before ordering a set...

Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

I dont have information on any "safe" spacers becuase I have never used them. I have heard that they exist though. I agree with Hammer, you are much better off buying wheels with the correct offset but I can see how that might not be cost effective sometimes. as for the backspacing, check with some lift manufacturers and see what they recommend for 35" tires. Fabtech says 4 5/8" max bs for 35's on their kits, but im not sure about your setup.

Quick Reply: getting open country MT 35's will I have issues?