3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. - '08 Ram Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 PM
UP_Boilermaker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
What do you do with the key? Still stick it in the ignition and turn it to the acc to unlock the steering column and provide the key chip to the reader and THEN push the start button? Seems pointless to me.

All of the newer cars that have that feature allow you to push the start button without pulling the keys out of your pocket. That's worth it, but it's pointless if you still need to insert the key in the ignition. How do you plan to get around this feature? Thanks
The push button start mod has no practical use, dirtydog. It's just something for the cool factor, and nothing more. Noone here mods their truck just so they can justify what they did to it... We do it because we can. Its not pointless, its personalization.

As I recall, the Viper and the RT/10 Ram BOTH need the key inserted and turned to unlock the steering column.

That being said, defeating the steering column lock isn't exactly brain surgery (just removal of the pin in the column will suffice). Also, if the tag in the key is RFID, it may just have to be in proximity to the reader, not actually inserted. That's one of the questions I have yet to get answered. I'm still trying to find out precisely what system Chrysler used on the '08 Rams, and exactly how it operates.

The only answer that I have at this point, is that if I DO have to have the key physically in contact with some part of the system, I could possibly use the bypass that is occasionally used on some GM cars when an aftermarket remote start system is installed. They use a key box wired into the system with a spare key installed into the box. At this point, I would have to use an aftermarket RFID system like Guard Dawg has with RFID key tags that you just have to have on your person to allow operation of the vehicle.

I don't know if I'm even interested in going that far... I think I just want to get the button installed.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Alpheus
Banned

Get a 3 dollar key cut at walmart of your key with out RFD and try to start your truck with your original key in your pocket. See how close your original key has to be for your truck to start...

Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 PM
manualagain
Professional

I had a push button starter that was dash mounted once, in a '51 Ford F-1, it was kind of classy. But what I really liked was the manual throttle and manual choke, with the flat head 8 it was a fun truck to drive.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpheus
Get a 3 dollar key cut at walmart of your key with out RFD and try to start your truck with your original key in your pocket. See how close your original key has to be for your truck to start...

That will not work. The truck will run for a few seconfs and shut right off.

The 2008 Dodge Ram uses the Sentry II System. Nothing from GM will work. You must use another key bypass module which is made for a Chrysler.

Quick Reply: Dept. of Redundancy Dept. - '08 Ram Push Button Start