3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

thinking HIDs, whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, i'm a tool. realized it was the parking light 5 minutes after my post when i walked outside and saw the orang bulb.

i was plannin on either 4300 or 5k. would hids be a bad idea with stock headlight? cause a lot of glare?

Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 6000K kit from Tim Garzza HID Solutions complete with 6000k fogs as well.
Tim has a new design on the Bi Zenon HID's.
There is a lot of trouble with the magnetic solenoid operated one bulb soluton, to the hi/lo.
So, Tim has come up with two bulbs in the one bulb mount.
What happens, is that the inner pair of the bulbs gives the low's and when you flick over to the hi's, the outer light of the pair comes on.
He was toying with both bulbs coming on at the same time I believe, but I think he was worried about the possible heat problems that that might potentally cause?
A melted light housing is not the way to go, even if you have shed loads of light ha ha ha.
Anyway, I have these on my truck and all I can say is AWSOME and Tim IS the man for both his products and his really great after market support.
Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 02-21-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
i was plannin on either 4300 or 5k. would hids be a bad idea with stock headlight? cause a lot of glare?
4300 is daylight, so slightlyyellow(hardly noticeable)(5000K is Diamond White)
Yes Hid's are bad for the stock housings...illegal. Yes it will cause a lot of glare and oncoming traffic will be blinded.

Look, as much as I want HID's, I refuse to do it half-***. I don't want to be blinding everyone in sight not to mention it's a ticket around here and if you were to cause an accident and get caught with the HID's in the housings you can be ticketed and even arrested if someone were to get hurt because they were too blinded! HID's are still illegal in projectors, however it's the proper set-up for them. Projoectors have a more focused beam and HID made projectors have a super clean cut in light above a certain point. Halogen housings have no filament cut in light and cause a scatter of light due to the housing. HID's are 3x brighter, so imagine the Halgone scatter up to 3x as much. Can you say Highbeams doubled!!!

It's up to you, but I think everyone with HIDs in their stock housings are selfish bastards! Their road is bright so they can see and basically screw everyone else out there because who cares if oncoming traffic is blinded. Just because people don't hi-beam you doean't mean your light isn't obnoxious or too bright. Rant done.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-21-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:44 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im with dirtydog on this one. people with poorly adjusted lights, (mostly chevy trucks) and people with HIDs in stock housings **** me off big time! my eyes are messed up already, and bright lights mess them up worse. (over dilated pupils). so driving at night is bad enough for me with regular headlights, let alone poorly adjusted or improper HIDs blinding me.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

oh I definitely agree with both of you, I even turn off my headlight and use fogs if i'm driving behind a little car. that's why I asked. So no Hids in stock headlight.

Dog you said HIDs are illegal in projectors? Isn't that what all the higher end cars are using?

Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Chris1530
Professional

I believe he means that HIDs are illegal if the housing or projector is modified to accept it.
A stock Headlight with a HID projector in would not be, but a modified one could be..
Here is a pic of what a typical HID Cutoff looks like.. Its designed to keep the light on the road, and not to blind other drivers, due to the brightness of hids, before the Bi Xenon HIDs
most companys used a halogen for the high beam.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star

I know you hate the HID's in stock lights but if it were illegal in a projector they wouldnt put them in and putting in a 4300k light is brighter than our stock light so the same problem is happening to a lesser extent so you should never really put brighter lights in without changing the light housing and i know its selfish but i could care less about the other traffic because almost everyone else is the same way i view it as every man for themselves

Old 02-21-2009, 05:57 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
Dog you said HIDs are illegal in projectors? Isn't that what all the higher end cars are using?
Any aftermarket HID kit that can be bought is illegal on road which is controlled by the Fed. Gov. whether it's installed in a halogen housing or a projector housing.
The projector housings themselves aren't illegal, just the HID's are.
Higher end cars have actual projector cases with quality lenses. The projectors in aft. headlights are junk compared to OEM. Not a true projector and the lens is marginal.
I must say, I bought projector lights off Ebay for my mustang. They went much further and brigher than stock. The beam is more focused and can go further. I would have to say it was twice as good as stock. No HID's, just Luminics.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:21 PM
shoedork
Professional

projector housings actually help focus the beam better, as where a halogen housing scatters the light more. If it didn't come from the factory then it is considered illegal. You can get away with it mostly when you go with 4300k-6000k but when you go higher in the kelvin temp thats when it gets really blue to a purple color and thats when it is obvious that you have an after market headlight upgrade. I have 6000k hid sets in my fog and headlights that i got from Tim, i have heard alot of guys just simply adjusting their halogen housing down a touch and it stops the blinding of ppl in front of you. Personaly i didn't adjust mine and have had no problems with ppl flashing me or blinding the crap outta ppl in front of me...... but then again thats not totally true, the only times i can notice i am blinding the car in front of me is when it's a stoopid lil civic or a car of that type all dropped lol.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Ridinhigh
i know its selfish but i could care less about the other traffic because almost everyone else is the same way i view it as every man for themselves
this may come off as personal, but I was taught better than that^^. plus, If a car in the opposite lane ends up swerving or something because they can't see where they are going, they got a 50% chance of coming your way.

So I guess I'll try projectors first, and see if I want HIDs.

BTW, can the lights on our trucks be adjusted? I've taken them off and on to paint them, but don't recall seeing an adjustment screw. I guess I can always shim it.

Quick Reply: thinking HIDs, whats the difference?