3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Failed PA state safety inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 PM
Bobby Ott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes thats it.

Last edited by Bobby Ott; 10-13-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red06RAM
Is this the inspection requirements: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.80.html

I paid 26$ for my last inspection.
And another thought: Who's up for a PA meet?
Thanks for the link, that is some good info to have.

I would be up for a PA meet. Maybe you should post something up in the regional section and see how many people are interested.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM
GatorKen

This is Ken's wife replying for him,
Thanks all, your replies helped his mood. We took the truck to the dealer, as we had free inspections from them for keeping the license plate on the front of the truck. We were confused by the shock.strutt issue, as the dealer was calling it a shock and the auto parts stores were saying strutt, either way, they are all out of the parts for some reason. He tried to explain to the mechanic that earlier this winter he was run off the road which ended up messing up my oil filter and had oil sprayed all over the bottom of the engine/wheel area. Ken was told no, that couldn't happen. Even when Ken showed him, look here is the new oil filter and gee pretty darn close to it is the darn shock he is trying to fail. We are planning on taking it to another garage this coming week. Good part is it did pass emmisions. I read the state inspection page and looks like if it is leaking it must be severe.

I doubt Ken will be taking his truck back to this dealer.
Thanks,
Dee

Old 02-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by GatorKen
This is Ken's wife replying for him,
Thanks all, your replies helped his mood. We took the truck to the dealer, as we had free inspections from them for keeping the license plate on the front of the truck. We were confused by the shock.strutt issue, as the dealer was calling it a shock and the auto parts stores were saying strutt, either way, they are all out of the parts for some reason. He tried to explain to the mechanic that earlier this winter he was run off the road which ended up messing up my oil filter and had oil sprayed all over the bottom of the engine/wheel area. Ken was told no, that couldn't happen. Even when Ken showed him, look here is the new oil filter and gee pretty darn close to it is the darn shock he is trying to fail. We are planning on taking it to another garage this coming week. Good part is it did pass emmisions. I read the state inspection page and looks like if it is leaking it must be severe.

I doubt Ken will be taking his truck back to this dealer.
Thanks,
Dee
Sounds like they are trying to give him the run around on this one. I think that he is right to take the truck to another dealer. You guys should try to find a reliable place to get inspections done that won't try to hose you for repairs you don't need. If you ever get out this way let me know, I got a couple of guys I could recommend to you.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:21 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

NY you have to pass emission inspection yearly for renewal of registration. Which sucks because my mustang has to get an inspection before I put it away for winter because Reg. renewal is in Feb and I don't drive it until April which would void the reg out and I'd have to re-reg the car every 2 years.

My Father went to a local Jiffy Lube and they failed him several times for a power steering leak and get this....a slightly cracked Serpentine belt...LMAO His truck they failed him for rear one wheel seal leaking and the rear diff being wet on the bottom. Total friggin joke. I told him to go elsewhere and he passed no problems. Most inspectors don't even know the state laws, they are just trying to find money in inspections. If the Mechanic doesn't know a shock from a strut, he should be fired.

Also, isn't your 06 still covered under warranty?

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-21-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:53 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
California can be a bitch as far as emissions go. We cant even get certain programmers and chips because of it. We cant even order the cortex programmer. makes me want to move to Texas with my dad... ack.
I passed CA emissions with a predator 93 tune in my maro...had the rear o2's tuned out also. You can always just put it back to stock if you're worried it'll fail...do it at least a week bfore getting smogged so you have time to get some complete drive cycles in.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
NY you have to pass emission inspection yearly for renewal of registration. Which sucks because my mustang has to get an inspection before I put it away for winter because Reg. renewal is in Feb and I don't drive it until April which would void the reg out and I'd have to re-reg the car every 2 years.
Unless things are different in your county, this is not true. Just tell them you need a 10 day temporary inspection sticker when you renew the registration. This will require you go to the local DMV office rather than mail it in or do it online. I do it every year with our trailers. I also don't renew the registration until just before I plan to either drive the vehicle or use the trailers. It is pro-rated this way.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Are you required to go to a repair shop for the inspection? Sounds like a captive audience for bogus repairs.

Florida did away with vehicle inspections about thirty years ago. They served no purpose (cars running around that were obviously unsafe and passing inspections) and were just a source of revenue.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:21 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

That's messed up, I wouldn't trust dealerships for safety inspections, I get my done by a private shop or something

In OK (where the colbalt is registered unfortunately) they have no emissions at all, you go to the tag agency, I sign a piece of paper and they give me a new sticker - 22.50/yr with the military affidavit - that goes for all vehicles there.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
matty_p
Professional

Question for you if you have your PA inspection license;

I was told by someone that if your vehicle fails inspection and you bring it back within a week they have to re-inspect it for free. The guy i took my wifes car to charged me a second time and whenI asked him abot the free re-inspect, he said there was no such law. Whats the deal??

I checked the PA state inspection laws on the PA DMV website, but could only find reasons for failure.

Quick Reply: 06 Failed PA state safety inspection