3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Failed PA state safety inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 PM
GatorKen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 06 Failed PA state safety inspection

Took my 06 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi to the dealership for its 1st state safety inspection since I purchased it last march. I was thinking with a newer vehicle it should pass no problem, man was I wrong. $700.00 to pass. They said I needed a new front strut and both tierods with bushings to pass. Of course they drop the well, strut is backordered and ONLY a dealer part, it should be available in 5-6 weeks. Great for me, I have 8 days till my inspection runs out. Hmm what to do.
I checked with the local parts dealer and they handle aftermarket struts, but are also out of stock.

I am so frustrated with this dealership, They said look, there is oil on the top outside of the strut so it is bad, oh and look if you shake your tire it moves so the tierods are bad. Then as he was putting it on the lift they come about an inch from putting my ladders and ladderrack into the ceiling. And to top it off, as the mechanic was pulling the truck out of the garage he rams it into the curb not once, not twice, but 3 times backing up, all while I'm standing there watching. Lucky for him I had my 3-yr-old son with me and had to keep under control.
Grr, this truck has had several issues. Airbag light keeps coming on and stying on, latch for E-brake broke, Auxillary outlets, only 1 works. According to dealer at 20K last year took front calipers and breaks. Hmm, did I buy a lemon, or just bad luck...
Ken

Old 02-20-2009, 07:24 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I take it you're over your bumper to bumper warranty. Good news is i'm pretty sure you have shocks not struts up front...i'll have to double check that on my truck though. They're coil over so they can be easily confused with struts. So the shocks will be cheaper and a lot easier to replace...tierods are no biggie either. Cars mainly use struts up front because they provide better latteral support...i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong...or right for that matter If I was you i'd do the work yourself.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 PM
kah1010

Sounds like you want to find another place for future service....something is not right (are these guys just "inventing" these problems).

Also, have you taken it to "independent" inspection station for inspection? At least here in TX, they do check just basic safety items (what they can discover with a brief ride of 30-100 feet) - and they do not go under a vehicle to check strut etc.

If you "really" need those items/parts, call another dealer in your area and ask availability of those parts from them - just to double-check.

K

PS My experience is that a dealer is not a good place for safety inspection, as they only try to make more money with repairs - needed or not

Old 02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice would be to take it to a local mechanic to get the inspection done. Dealers love to stick it to people on the inspections. Where are you located in PA? If you are near me I can recommend a couple places that will give you much less trouble.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I wish CA would have inspections like these....half the cars driving around aren't road worthy. Are these inspections required to renew your registration?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you need a state inspection on a three year old truck?
A 1500 Ram dosent have any strutts, let a lone one, if your confusing strutts with shocks, Shocks are gas filled, Shocks don't use oil anymore.

AS for parts being back orderd, thats a carp load of b/s, thiers a lot of 1500 Rams that will need parts, dealers can vist othier dealers to get parts and thier no differance in front end componets from a 04 Ram to a 06 Ram 1500 ..

Tie rods due wear out and its not common to replace the tire rods with existing bushings, may be your confusing a stut with a pitman arm ( only one )

How manny miles are on this truck ?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 PM
red06RAM
All Star

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
I wish CA would have inspections like these....half the cars driving around aren't road worthy. Are these inspections required to renew your registration?
Yup. Required every year.

Back in august when I had mine done the safety inspection was free. I was however, under 5000 miles for the year which means I can be emissions exempt. I had to remind the dealer that or they would have charged me. Still had to pay half price though because the truck needed to be hooked up to something. But I have a paper that states I am exempt for emission testing.

Last edited by red06RAM; 02-20-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Are these inspections required to renew your registration?
Nah, you can renew registration without getting the inspection.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Bobby Ott

I have my PA State insp. lic. and you can't fail for a wet shock, the dodge ram don't have struts and if it did you can't fail it for that.You can look up on the comp. pa inspection laws do some home work and go back and kick some ,
Originally Posted by GatorKen
Took my 06 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi to the dealership for its 1st state safety inspection since I purchased it last march. I was thinking with a newer vehicle it should pass no problem, man was I wrong. $700.00 to pass. They said I needed a new front strut and both tierods with bushings to pass. Of course they drop the well, strut is backordered and ONLY a dealer part, it should be available in 5-6 weeks. Great for me, I have 8 days till my inspection runs out. Hmm what to do.
I checked with the local parts dealer and they handle aftermarket struts, but are also out of stock.

I am so frustrated with this dealership, They said look, there is oil on the top outside of the strut so it is bad, oh and look if you shake your tire it moves so the tierods are bad. Then as he was putting it on the lift they come about an inch from putting my ladders and ladderrack into the ceiling. And to top it off, as the mechanic was pulling the truck out of the garage he rams it into the curb not once, not twice, but 3 times backing up, all while I'm standing there watching. Lucky for him I had my 3-yr-old son with me and had to keep under control.
Grr, this truck has had several issues. Airbag light keeps coming on and stying on, latch for E-brake broke, Auxillary outlets, only 1 works. According to dealer at 20K last year took front calipers and breaks. Hmm, did I buy a lemon, or just bad luck...
Ken

Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Bobby Ott
I have my PA State insp. lic. and you can't fail for a wet shock, the dodge ram don't have struts and if it did you can't fail it for that.You can look up on the comp. pa inspection laws do some home work and go back and kick some ,
Thats what im talking about! I love this forum... dont take their crap gatorken...

Quick Reply: 06 Failed PA state safety inspection