3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some 2004 Dodge Quad 1500 4x4 info

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 AM
dss56
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck is fine with the plow off. It only happens when I put the plow on and get up on the highway doing 50mph or more then I have to slow down to about 45 so it will not red line it will run hot but not all the ways. I know its the snow blade blocking the air to the radiator. That is why I need to try something to keep it from overheating. Some on snowplow.com say the HD clutch will help others say no. Others have gone with an Electric fan. Does anyone here have any info on one for my truck and what it cost and what it takes to install one.

thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 10:54 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i dont think a new hood would do much. someone on here did a new e fan by himself for cheap, his name is Off Road Teacher. check in the diy section, he rigged one up himself and said it was pretty easy and even increased his mpg by 1-2 mpgs. maybe you could pm him to get a quick answer. are you constantly driving on the highway with the plow when you will be working with it? cause if not then maybe you shouldnt worry. are you doing it as a business?

Old 02-22-2009, 11:20 AM
dss56
Professional

I won't be on the highway that much but there is a chance I might need to. I did buy the plow setup from Portsmouth Ford in NH. Its about 55 miles from my house here in Boston If i need to go back for repairs that is one need and then my mother inlaw that lives about 20 miles away towards the Cape in MA. I would just like to know I would be able to get on the highway if needed without the overheating. I will contact Off Road for some advise.

thanks

Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

when you plow with that thing...which will prolly be this weekend, let me know how it does.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 PM
dss56
Professional

Sure will let ya know. Here in Boston we might just get a couple of inches then change to rain. Like I said try snowplow.com and search for the plowing with 1500 in the dodge truck area. I have been on there for a few years and have toyed with getting a plow on the truck. Well this year here in Boston we got a lot of snow in the beginning of Dec, Jan. Not much here in February. I had a RD Fisher 7.5 blade put on. You can get the Homsteader put on the 1500 but the frame is Tubular and not welded. Again if ya treat the plow good it will last. I just plan on doing my own drive way which is about 90 feet long and narrow. I do have a snowblower but when you get back to back storms I need a place to put the snow. It was a bit costly but I'm sure next winter i will enjoy doing my drive way. I also plan on getting some accounts for small lots and driveways to help pay for the plow.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
dss56
Professional

Well I got to plow with my new plow Last weekend. I had no Issues with the plow did my driveway and in front of my house and a couple of friends. Also did a tow yard for a friend. My truck with the 4.7 engine had no issues what so ever. My over heating is still a problem with the plow on. Still waiting for some good weather to replace the clutch fan with HD one and see if that does it.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
dss56
Professional

I forgot anyone have a good electric fan # from a used car I could mount on the FRONT on my truck and still keep the clutch fan? I would use the electric fan when I'm on the highway to keep the temp down then shut it off when I'm in the city. Has anyone ever tried this with the fan in the front?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 AM
matty_p
Professional

Originally Posted by dss56
I forgot anyone have a good electric fan # from a used car I could mount on the FRONT on my truck and still keep the clutch fan? I would use the electric fan when I'm on the highway to keep the temp down then shut it off when I'm in the city. Has anyone ever tried this with the fan in the front?
Did you check out Off road Teachers DIY on doing the E-fan on the cheap?? Would eliminate the need for the HD clutch fan, the extrernal e-fan(??????) and free up some HP and mileage. Think its a much better idea than even trying the HD fan. Check e-bay for a Ford Taurus 3.8 electric fan. They range from like $50-$100, and than all you need is a fan controller. Here is the link to Off Road Teachers DIY:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...c-fan-diy.html

Old 03-09-2009, 07:17 AM
dss56
Professional

I did read the DIY by OFF Road. He also sent some pictures. I think I'm still leaning for installing the HD clutch and then if it does not work add the E-Fan in the front for some extra fan cooling. I just need this to help when my plow blade is on. Like I said my truck does not over heat with the plow blade off.

Still waiting to hear if anyone has added the fan in the front. I did read on some forum that some had done this front fan addition but not much was given for the results of performance.

thanks for all the replies

Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If your problem is at highway speeds, replacing the clutch fan with an e-fan will not help you. The e-fan turns at a constant speed all the time. A great feature for off-roaders who crawl, because a clutch fan turns in relations to engine rpms. Since your rpms are up at highway speeds, the clutch fan would be providing just as much airflow as the e-fan would.
Stick with the plan for getting a heavier duty clutch fan...

Quick Reply: Need some 2004 Dodge Quad 1500 4x4 info