3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a DS Predator

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow thats insane was diablo is doing, those people with blown trans should go into legal action...that is if they werent messing with things that shouldnt be messed with.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well we are not trying to cause a panic by any means, and because of my issues with SC and the way they lied to me about custom tunes, I'm definitely not biased in any one direction. As a matter of fact, I was sold on "handing down" my SC to my Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 in it and going to a Diablo Predator with custom tunes for my upcoming cam swap. But honestly, I'm not too confident in the product right now.

Now many, many people run this product on their Hemi truck with no problems, at least to date. So what's the deal with the few who've blown up their transmissions? I don't think anybody knows the common denominator here.

I originally thought it might be they are taking too much torque management out, but dyno's have shown that the SC is removing about twice the TM as even the 93 octane Diablo tune, so obviously that's not it. Then it came out that only guys with highly modded trucks who are "playing" with settings were the ones blowing trannies. Although the vast majority seem to be, it's not the only case, as a couple people with very late model, mainly unmodified trucks have seen their tranny fry.

Like I said, the majority of the people are running it with nothing but good gains coming from the tunes. I don't think I'd buy one right now personally, at least not until I gave them some time to figure this out. But if I had the tuner and was looking at taking a loss to sell it and get something else, I'd just install it. But I'd not "play" with any settings for now, live with the "canned" tunes for now...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Well we are not trying to cause a panic by any means, and because of my issues with SC and the way they lied to me about custom tunes, I'm definitely not biased in any one direction. As a matter of fact, I was sold on "handing down" my SC to my Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 in it and going to a Diablo Predator with custom tunes for my upcoming cam swap. But honestly, I'm not too confident in the product right now.

Now many, many people run this product on their Hemi truck with no problems, at least to date. So what's the deal with the few who've blown up their transmissions? I don't think anybody knows the common denominator here.
I agree with Hammer, there shouldn't be any panic setting in for people with the DSP. I believe that the reported cases of trannies being fried is still under 20 and last I heard they had sold somewhere around 1600 units for our trucks so far. Clearly this is not a widespread problem with the DSP and until the common factor that is causing all these failures is found I wouldn't panic if I had just purchased a predator like JRam08 had. I would just use the canned tunes for now until they can get to the bottom of the problem.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:37 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JRam08
Crap. Ya'll have me worried as he!!. I just got my Predator last night and have not installed it for fear of tearing my D@#m truck up. I hate to have to try and sell a brand new tuner to get something else. Looking for ideas here.

Any advice would be great.
There's also a lot of positive reviews..some are in this thread. I dunno what the common problem is with the trannies/pcm's frying...maybe it's the retard factor or some defective tuners out there that slipped through quality control.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

I definately feel better now, was very scared and ready to sell the chip. I have the 91 tune now, and just adjusted tire size and she runs very nice.

One question though, if you remove the program from your truck, can the dealership, or any mechanic tell if you had it in there? I'm planning on buying some warranty but don't want it void because of the chip.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Stellar_D
One question though, if you remove the program from your truck, can the dealership, or any mechanic tell if you had it in there? I'm planning on buying some warranty but don't want it void because of the chip.
Some people say these tuners (DSP, SC, etc) leave a footprint on the computer and others say they don't. Maybe someone who works at a dealership could chime in and answer bc I would like to know as well in case I ever have to use my warranty.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

I love my DSP!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:54 PM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
Some people say these tuners (DSP, SC, etc) leave a footprint on the computer and others say they don't. Maybe someone who works at a dealership could chime in and answer bc I would like to know as well in case I ever have to use my warranty.
I am sure they do, The real question is would the stealership monkeys know or think to look for it. Most the mechanics I have talked to at the stealership don't hardly seem to know a TB from a transmission.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by traker1001
I am sure they do, The real question is would the stealership monkeys know or think to look for it. Most the mechanics I have talked to at the stealership don't hardly seem to know a TB from a transmission.
Hahaha, you make a good point

Old 05-14-2009, 05:27 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I think where most people are looking for problems or fault with the DSP I think may be overlooking the common fact that Dodge has had problems with thier trannies to begin with and it would seem only logical that a few of the owners that have experienced failure might have acutally pushed the soon-to-fail units just that much more and more rapidly than usual abuse since, not unlike myself, they would have the tendancy to practically floor it everywhere just to enjoy the reclaimed power Chrysler so choose to take from us in the first place in order to keep from killing them.

lets see: Chrysler remakes 345 Hp HEMI, new tranny not so great but works well enough for usual production behind HEMI, chrysler limits the HEMI's unladen Hp output to keep from blowing trannies, Owner goes and uses programmer to circumvent factory settings, Owner blows transmission and then wants to blame the programmer...

I say for all the guys that have blown their trannies up, they have no further to look for the blame than down at their right foot(and possibly their left one if they were power-braking it). Stop bad-mouthing Diablo because their programmers do exactly as expected and are in no way responsible for the actions of the owner/driver.

Quick Reply: Got a DS Predator