3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd vs. 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
drummer_boy51
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd vs. 4wd

Hey,

Hey I'm 17 and graduating high school this year, and I'm looking at possibly buying a truck with the graduation money that I get. I really like the Dodge Ram trucks, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a full size truck or not. I would like a 2001-2005 Ram 1500 QC 4X4, but my dad doesn't want me getting a 4wd truck because he says it pretty much sucks gas. How much of a difference is there in 2wd from 4wd in terms of gas mileage?? He also doesn't want me getting a truck with 4wd because he says there are more things that could go wrong and need fixing. If I can't get a Ram then I'd like to get a Quad Cab Dakota or Chevy Colorado. Does anyone have any experience with these mid-size trucks? Thanks!

Thomas

Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 AM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

if you are somewhere that having 4wd is "necessary" in the winter, then couple of mpg difference is nothing... i also know a guy who had a 99 ram 4wd, he got rid of it over the summer, but he never had to do a thing to the 4wd system, so it all depends on how it was used b4 u get it.

as far as a dakota, if you're not that tall of a guy (under 6'2" or so) dakotas are great!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There's nothing like a full size 4x4 truck, and aside from a CV joint can go on you, really nothing more in a 4x4 to go out than a 4x2. Since these trucks are not full time 4wd, you are really only looking at the extra weight costing you gas mileage, so maybe a 1-2 mpg decrease, tops.
But try to get an '03-'05 with a Hemi if you can swing the cost. 100 more HP than it's predecessor, with about 15% better fuel economy to boot. The Hemi actually gets the same mpg as the smaller 4.7 V8 in these trucks.
The Dakota is a solid mid size truck (but don't tell the Dak guys I said so), although if you get it with a V8, you won't get any better gas mileage than a full size.

As far as the Colorado goes, they are imported crap. And I'm not saying this because this is a Dodge site. I happen to love the full size Chevy's and Duramax' trucks and have had a couple with no major problems. But the Colorado is cheap inside, plagued with problems and grossly underpowered...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 02-22-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:58 AM
drummer_boy51

Well I don't guess I really "need" 4 wheel drive...it would just be nice to have especially in case of slippery roads or muddy roads whenever I go hunting. My parents are just wanting me to get something with decent gas mileage since I'm gonna be a poor college student lol...but hopefully I can get a job this summer once I turn 18 and can do more, so I can pay for my own gas. I wouldn't necessarily mind a Dakota...but I sure do love the look of those full size trucks!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you hunt, or fish for that matter, I wouldn't even consider getting a truck that was NOT a 4x4. Plus the safety factor in inclement weather alone is worth giving up the 1-2 mpg.

I just had to figure all the vehicles I've had in my life not too long ago for a poll in the Off Topic section and figured out that I, or my ex wife, have had something like 11 trucks and SUVs and 9 have been 4wd. I'd never be without a 4x4, ever...

Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 AM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

oh, and if a truck is what you want, throw the MPG thing out the window... get used to the saying "Haulin' *** & Suckin Gas"

Old 02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
If you hunt, or fish for that matter, I wouldn't even consider getting a truck that was NOT a 4x4. Plus the safety factor in inclement weather alone is worth giving up the 1-2 mpg.

I just had to figure all the vehicles I've had in my life not too long ago for a poll in the Off Topic section and figured out that I, or my ex wife, have had something like 11 trucks and SUVs and 9 have been 4wd. I'd never be without a 4x4, ever...
I completely second that thought. Besides, if you are going to college, chances are that you wont be driving alot between work and school. So gas wont be much of an issue. Get a full size 4X4 and be light in the foot when driving.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4wd is the only way to go IMO. You'll probably get the same MPG with a ram then u would in a dakota, my HEMI gets the same as my 5.2 v8 dakota did. Whats your price range?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drummer_boy51
Well I don't guess I really "need" 4 wheel drive...it would just be nice to have especially in case of slippery roads or muddy roads whenever I go hunting.
That right there is enough reason to get a 4x4. Just get the 4x4 bc if you get a 2wd you will be kicking yourself the first time you get stuck going down one of those muddy hunting roads.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

the 3rd gen dakotas are nice though. my uncle got a 07 last year with the 4.7. its a really nice truck with the quad cab and i think he gets around 15mpg, not too bad. if you dont really need a full size truck, dont get one. but do get 4wd, like everyone else said, youd prolly kick yourself for not.