3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

remote start help, pics!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Ram_It!
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question remote start help, pics!

okay i counld not find d.i.y, but im try to put my remote start in and i was wondering if i could splice this giant wire in to these little wires,

Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Ram_It!
Professional

anyone, sorry im kinda in a rush i dont like leaveing my truck taken apart outside lol

Old 02-22-2009, 04:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You would need to use a T-tap. Crimp the plastic sandwich connector over the little wire. It will fold up and snap together. This cuts through the insulation of the smaller wire. Then you crimp an insulated male connector on the larger wire. This will plug into the smaller plastic connector. The size you would need would be blue or red for the starter connections. Red is smaller 18-22awg blue is 14-16awg Yellow is larger 8-12awg

Which wire is that for the starter?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Ram_It!
Professional

yea there are like 3 giant ones for the starter, but i think im just gonna pay someone to put it in i dont want to f up my starter

Old 02-22-2009, 05:22 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Ram_It!
yea there are like 3 giant ones for the starter, but i think im just gonna pay someone to put it in i dont want to f up my starter

You won't F it up if you just follow directions. You could always crimp a smaller wire to the larger wire and then just splice the 2 smaller wires together?

What brand starter is it? I installed a Code Alarm on mine and have step-by step colored directions of which wire needs to be pulled from the truck. It was super easy. We can go into the chat if you need some 1 on 1 guidance.

Also, what's the closest parts store to you? AutoZone Walmart, Advance????

Old 02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Old 02-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Ram_It!
Professional

mine is also a code alarm but i get under there and start looking at wires plus that extra box to get around security and just get all confused

Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
freerider6_9

dont use scotch locks...they are useless. solder all your connections and it will last forever. we install alot of these and soldering all the connections is the way to go...not the place to skimp you will thank yourself when there is nothing that looks like **** down there or something that will let you down.that little box is the bypass module, its what shows the frequency the key would when its in the ignition. they arent that bad to install just follow the wiring diagrams and the programming instructions for the bypass and you would be fine but be prepared to be scratching your head if you have never done one and have a problem. especially if you use scotch loks..

and to answer your question there needs te be more info. is that the power wire, ignition,accesorry etc.? more info helps

Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Ben D.
Champion

i have to agree... t-taps are not so good.. Always solder and then heat shrink or tape. All remote starts I do are soldered, the connection is taped, and all wires are inside split loom. not usually each wire individually but i'll seperate it by , ignition stuff, door locks, factory alarm, parking lights brakeswitch.. maybe a bit different depending on the car. but doing that makes sure that the wires never rub on anything and go bare. but yes you can tie those two wires together.. cut off a section of insulation on the wire in the car then solder the two together.. done deal.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Do both of you realize that over 95% of the alarms/starters that are installed in most shops are quick spliced.
I went to a place that said they solder all connections...yeah right. Quick spliced.
Also, there's nothing wring with a quick splice. It means easy removal!

Quick Reply: remote start help, pics!