3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any Lawyers Here??? Long Story!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this guy is not state certified, you are going to be screwed.

Non state certified repair companies can go with the "verbal authorization" for estimate approvals. If it is taken to court, then it will be your word against his, and you will still have to pay for what was done, but you can at least stop the work.

If the repair company that you are using is state certified, then they have to meet the proper guidelines for providing a written estimate, getting authorization, and not doing any more than what is in writing.

So, this is the cliff notes version. State Certified, you have a case, non state certified, you are done. You have to check that out.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, the way it sounds by your story, is that you gave him permission to work on the doors and they didn't come out to your expectations and now he is trying to fix his f*** up. If you took that information to court you're going to lose because you authorised the work. Now with that said, he is being very shadey with his wording as well if that is what he is actually saying, not trying to call you a liar or anything but pissed off typing can lead to an exageration of the truth to favor one side.

This is what I would do, I would go to his shop (no emails, no phone calls, do it face to face) and tell him that until the doors look like new you will not be paying for them, you will pay for the other work but you dont take a vehicle to a body shop to not have them coming out good as new! Also tell him you wont be paying him any additional amount over the price he gave you to do the work on the doors if they can fix them or order new ones to replace them, they f***ed up the work not you so why should it come out of your cost. Also bring up that their website says "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and you are not satisfied with the quality of the work done. AND GET IT ALL IN WRITING!!! I'd also find out if he has a boss or someone over his head that you can talk to as well and explain it to him as well.

Last edited by truckin151; 02-24-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:32 AM
HEMI07
Veteran

Originally Posted by donjohnk
Id say, you got an extra set of keys? GO get ur truck and then work out ur problem... LOL dont listen to me, thats just what I would do.
+1
Sounds like this guy is a real AHOLE! Hope everything works out for you

Old 02-24-2009, 10:42 AM
kfx440kid123
Rookie

write a check to the full amount then stop the payment on the check... hell be in for a nice surprise.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Alpheus
Banned

I offered to pay him over and above the work He allready gave me the emailed estimate and He refused. He said He would charge me less than it would cost me to purchased A1 condition doors from a salvage yard. I told him that I could get the doors for 800 and He said (Verbally) over the phone that He could fix them for 750 bucks. Now when I tell him to forget about the doors He only knocked a couple of hundred dollars off the bill saying that was estimate He gave me. That is a bold faced lie???

He sent me an email today saying the truck will be done tomorrow and that if I were to purchase another door that He would install it and spray it for free. I tried to call him back but only got his voicemail AGAIN!!! I told him that the door that I allready found cost 400 bucks and that if he would knock that amount from the bill install it and spray it that I would be happy with that. I am waiting for his response. I am praying that the front door will be "perfect" like he says because if its not I will not pay for it. Either way my truck is comming home with me tomorrow...

Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Alpheus
I offered to pay him over and above the work He allready gave me the emailed estimate and He refused. He said He would charge me less than it would cost me to purchased A1 condition doors from a salvage yard. I told him that I could get the doors for 800 and He said (Verbally) over the phone that He could fix them for 750 bucks. Now when I tell him to forget about the doors He only knocked a couple of hundred dollars off the bill saying that was estimate He gave me. That is a bold faced lie???

He sent me an email today saying the truck will be done tomorrow and that if I were to purchase another door that He would install it and spray it for free. I tried to call him back but only got his voicemail AGAIN!!! I told him that the door that I allready found cost 400 bucks and that if he would knock that amount from the bill install it and spray it that I would be happy with that. I am waiting for his response. I am praying that the front door will be "perfect" like he says because if its not I will not pay for it. Either way my truck is comming home with me tomorrow...
be sure to get pictures of what we are dealing with. if he didnt let you take pics, whats up with that?

Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
lax

I would

a) take my truck home (so he can't F it up anymore)

b) take as many pics as possible with a disposable camera (they hold up better in court)

c) get a lawyer

lax

Old 02-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Alpheus
Banned

Here is the latest round of emails...

Him yesterday:

Should have the Ram done today (tues). To help out with the confusion we caused, if you put the rear door on, we will paint
no charge. IF you would rather, we can put the door assembly on at no charge, and just charge the orginal amount to paint it,
which should give you a good match. Just trying to keep a customer happy. Let me know.

JIM GRASMAN

AUTO COLOR SYSTEMS

My reply:

OK The cheapest door I found is 450 dollars and it is the same color at Bruces auto parts in Mechanicsville. So if you knock that much off the bill and will install the door and spray it just in case its not a perfect match, I will be happy. Please call me as soon as its done. I don’t have to be to work until 9pm…

His response this morning:

THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I MADE YOU A FAIR OFFER TO DO ONE OR THE OTHER. THE ORIGINAL CHARGE FOR THAT DOOR WAS ONLY $300. I DID NOT READ THIS EMAIL UNTIL TONIGHT. I WILL GO ONE BETTER, I WILL INSTALL AND PAINT FOR THE
ORIGINAL $300. YOU GET THE DOOR, I PUT IT ON AND SPRAY IT, AND THE $300. STANDS.

JIM GRASMAN

AUTO COLOR SYSTEMS

Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 AM
blakeroberts88
Veteran

Originally Posted by Alpheus
Here is the latest round of emails...

Him yesterday:

Should have the Ram done today (tues). To help out with the confusion we caused, if you put the rear door on, we will paint
no charge. IF you would rather, we can put the door assembly on at no charge, and just charge the orginal amount to paint it,
which should give you a good match. Just trying to keep a customer happy. Let me know.

JIM GRASMAN

AUTO COLOR SYSTEMS

My reply:

OK The cheapest door I found is 450 dollars and it is the same color at Bruces auto parts in Mechanicsville. So if you knock that much off the bill and will install the door and spray it just in case its not a perfect match, I will be happy. Please call me as soon as its done. I don’t have to be to work until 9pm…

His response this morning:

THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I MADE YOU A FAIR OFFER TO DO ONE OR THE OTHER. THE ORIGINAL CHARGE FOR THAT DOOR WAS ONLY $300. I DID NOT READ THIS EMAIL UNTIL TONIGHT. I WILL GO ONE BETTER, I WILL INSTALL AND PAINT FOR THE
ORIGINAL $300. YOU GET THE DOOR, I PUT IT ON AND SPRAY IT, AND THE $300. STANDS.

JIM GRASMAN

AUTO COLOR SYSTEMS

If I had to deal with this much confusion, numbers, and micro-managing I would go ahead and just take my vehicle back and get it done at another place. If you aren't satisfied don't pay him. If he refuses to give you your truck back then call the police.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Alpheus
Banned

well I picked up the truck today and to my amazement...... it was not perfect. Their is more waves in that thing than I can count. looks like their is a gallon of bondo in it. When I walked in there were two guys standing there and I think by the look on my face they could tell that I wasn't happy. But they said that, that's as straight as they can get it. I asked for the keys to my truck so I could open the door and put my stuff in, they said hold on Ill get the boss he has the keys. Well "THE BOSS" walks in and handed me the bill twirling my keys on his finger. I could tell that he wasnt going to hand over my keys until I settled up the bill. I told him that I didnt like the look of that door and He said "thats as straight as youll find at any junk yard". I gave him 2000 dollars in cash and wrote him a check for the rest (800 bucks). As soon as I left the parking lot I was on the phone to my bank cancelling the check. I will not be pressured like that to pay a bill again. The atmosphere was so thick in there that you could touch it. I will let him drag me into small claims court I dont care. I have an appointment tomorrow at a REAL body shop to get a second opinion on the quality of work that was performed...

Quick Reply: Any Lawyers Here??? Long Story!!!