3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.56 gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 4.56 gears

Just dropped my truck off at the shop to have my 4.56 gears and Detroit Trutrac installed. I can’t wait to see how my truck is with the gears and LSD. I’ve heard a few people on here saw that the gears were one of the best mods that they did to their truck. I just suck that I won’t be able to really test them out for a few weeks until the gears are broken in.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:26 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Don't forget the break-in period! LOL Let us know how it performs. I am interested in this mod as well. How much for the install if I may ask?

Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you will see a very big smile on your face. break in period is only 500 miles, then rip off the diff, cover inspect and put new fluid back in, around town they work great, coming off the line you barely need to touch the gas. just becareful in the rain untill you get use to them. i had the 3.55 corportae and went to the 4.10 in my dakota, wow. whole job was just under 1600 for the 4 x 4, you coulod spen 1600 on aftermarket mods, to get truck going, but nothing like this

Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

You are right, Everyone I know who has installed 4:56 gears couldn't be happier.

Doing 4:56 gears and a Detroit Tru Trac is my best mod to date.

Make sure you drive good for the first 500 miles then take it back for a check up and fluid exchange and then drive it like you stole it!

Once you get your truck back you can now become an official 4:56 gear club member.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do youb become members in stuff on this forum and once its finished if you dont mind how much for the parts and install

Old 02-25-2009, 02:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Best mod you'll ever do. Welcome to the "club". Most important thing you can do when you get it back is drive in short trips, no more than 20 mins at a time, with at least a 20 min "cool down" interval in between. The proper way to break them in and let them "seat" properly is to heat them and let them cool, over and over.
No long trips and NO TOWING until you've had them check and the fluid switched...

Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM
4x4HemiFreak
Rookie

yea ive been thinking about doing gears for a while and then i wanted to do a programmer cai combo but i decided to just suck it up and save some money in probally about a month go get this done since my truck doesnt like to cooperate with 3.92 and 35" pro-comp xtreme mud terrain tires.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM
06 Ram5.7
Veteran

I finally got my truck back today. I know I can’t really test out the gears and LSD yet, but my initial impression is that it definitely feels like it has more power. The first time I pressed the gas, and I didn’t even push it that far down, I spun my tires. I can’t wait until the break-in period is over, but I think it will be worth the wait.

Originally Posted by rssjib
Don't forget the break-in period! LOL Let us know how it performs. I am interested in this mod as well. How much for the install if I may ask?
Where I went, they charged me $1200, for labor, which I know people have gotten for cheaper. But unfortunately, around here, there aren't really too many places that I know of that do gear changes, and know what they are doing.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 Ram5.7
I finally got my truck back today. I know I can’t really test out the gears and LSD yet, but my initial impression is that it definitely feels like it has more power. The first time I pressed the gas, and I didn’t even push it that far down, I spun my tires. I can’t wait until the break-in period is over, but I think it will be worth the wait.
You won't be disappointed!

Originally Posted by 06 Ram5.7
Where I went, they charged me $1200, for labor, which I know people have gotten for cheaper. But unfortunately, around here, there aren't really too many places that I know of that do gear changes, and know what they are doing.
Yeah, that is on the high side. 4 Wheel Parts charged me $400 for the rear and $450 for the front in labor when they did mine in April of '06. Very good job, very professional. I've since found a place, much closer to me, a 4x4 shop on the east coast of central Florida. Solid reputation and those I've talked to were very impressed with not only their gear work, but their lift installation work and prices as well.
I've worked out a kinda "deal" with them that they will install gears there for any of my "referrals" for about $300 an axle. So if anyone is interested in doing gears, and are not far from central Florida, PM me. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, nor am I making anything off this, just was looking for the best deal I could find for another member, but I can save you a good bit of labor $...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-02-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.56 gears