3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil leak by eng/trans??? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
moosefire66
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation oil leak by eng/trans??? Help!!

I just got done pulling off my oil pan, and installing a gasket, then putting the pan back on. I am currently leaking a very small amound of oil from where the engine and trans meet. There is a small bracket, that acts like the inspection plate. The odd thing to me is, The pan seems to be dry, not leaking and the oil that is leaking is real dark, like the old **** I had just changed. Has anyone ever seen/heard/ or had this happen to them? I re-installed everything correctly, and that "inspection plate" bracket is as tight as I c an get it. I dont want anything to happen to my motor. Any help? Did the oil just get into the bottom of the bell housing and just leaking out??

Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just guessing, but rear main seal? Is it motor oil or tranny fluid? I think you answered that, but just checking.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

It is motor oil, but it is the used motor oil. It is not the new clean oil. Thats kinda why I am worried, but not so worried. I just assume its what ever spilled all over the place and is now just leaking out... but i dont know that for sure.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM
froto'sride
Professional

I assume that you changed your oil pan gasket bacause it was leaking and if it were leaking from the rear it may be inside the bellhousing and all over the tq converter if you think about it the wind blowing under the truck could have forced a lot into it. take the dust cover off of the trany and look to see if there is any oil in there. the only other thing it could be is the rear main seal unless you have a freeze plug leaking but that's like one in a million...

Old 03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

well it wasnt leaking when I replaced it. I took the pan off so I could install the plug for the oil temp guage, and I replaced it while doing so. I will pull off the inspection plate and see if there is any fluid in there...

Quick Reply: oil leak by eng/trans??? Help!!