3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CV joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009 | 11:53 AM
bigwood
|
Default CV joints

I was telling a friend all about my leveling kit and what not and he brang to my attention that i shouldnt go to high with this leveling kit (its almost level like .5 - 1 " more and it will be there. its up around 1.5-2" right now but still not there (cant go any higher until new shocks roll in) are my CV joints gona blow alot quicker now that their on more of an angle?

Old 03-01-2009 | 12:39 PM
Hoss356
Captain

From what I've been told, your stock CV's are good for a 15 degree angle on the outers and 30 degrees on the inners. From what I haven't heard on here, people bitching a 2 1/2" level kits blow out their CV's. From what I've personally seen, Around 4" inches of lift without a good differential drop bracket and you'll get binding that will wear them out faster, the older they are the faster they'll go when flexed and a good alingment can "reduce" binding. So I wouldn't worry.

Last edited by Hoss356; 03-01-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2009 | 01:04 PM
bigwood
|
Angry

Originally Posted by Hoss356
From what I've been told, your stock CV's are good for a 15 degree angle on the outers and 30 degrees on the inners. From what I haven't heard on here, people bitching a 2 1/2" level kits blow out their CV's. From what I've personally seen, Around 4" inches of lift without a good differential drop bracket and you'll get binding that will wear them out faster, the older they are the faster they'll go when flexed and a good alingment can "reduce" binding. So I wouldn't worry.
thanks!

and i saw the kits that drop down the front diff, but i told my self whats the point, really. i might as well just get an all around 4" lift.

and since were on the subject of levelling, what are the biggest/widest tires i can fit in there? without rubbing of the tire. i would like to get some offset rims for the looks and the clearance

Old 03-01-2009 | 05:16 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

You might be able to get away with 35 with minimal rubbing. Although you wont have much room to flex.

Quick Reply: CV joints