3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any Proffesional mechanics in this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:07 PM
traker1001
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Proffesional mechanics in this forum? Touch OT.

I do computer tech/Programmer/Web Dev for a living, I'm getting kinda worn out by my work and considering a change. Currently I do some shadetree mechanics. Anyways I was working on my truck Ram earlier and It hit me, Maybe I should go back to school and learn how to be a mechanic, get my ASE cert, maybe even make use of that big garage of mine. I have always enjoyed working with cars and trucks, But wonder if I would enjoy it professionally.

So to Proffesional mechanics in here, How do you like what you do?

**Edit**
Sorry if this is a little Off Topic from normal, I just figure there are alot of intelligent folks in here who might give me there thoughts.

Last edited by traker1001; 03-01-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Mopar2511
Rookie

hey im only twent but im a diesel mechanic for my grandfathers trucking company in northeast ohio. we have a truck pulling team with a mack semi truck. but there are a lot of frustrating times when nothing seems to go right. but honestly i enjoy it so much better than any desk job. so overall I love it. i get good pay, its a laid back, (but physically demanding) job and everyone is fun to work with.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by Mopar2511
hey im only twent but im a diesel mechanic for my grandfathers trucking company in northeast ohio. we have a truck pulling team with a mack semi truck. but there are a lot of frustrating times when nothing seems to go right. but honestly i enjoy it so much better than any desk job. so overall I love it. i get good pay, its a laid back, (but physically demanding) job and everyone is fun to work with.
Truck pulling team, That sounds pretty cool. there are alot of frustrating challenges with computer tech to, Unfortuantly it is many times not as laid back as I would like, Which is part of the problem. One of the things I love, Love working with my hands, And it has gotten more so as I got older. One of my biggest concerns is what the job market is like for new mechanics, Since it seems like there are so many currently. BTW, Incase you guys are reading this and wondering, I am 29.

How do you like diesel tech over gas, I honestly don't know anything more than a little theory on operation about diesel tech, But find it very interesting.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM
dazed01
Veteran

It's not too bad, I work for a dealer working on imports and it pays pretty decent. I worked on diesels in the army but that will take it out of you after a while. Business is good right now right after tax returns but it's up and down the whole year most the time.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
traker1001
Captain

Intrestingly enough my wife thinks the idea is great, She seems to think my apptitude towards mechanics leans more heavily towards vehicles. Did you guys get your ASE? How difficult was the test? Either of you master mechanics? I don't mind hard work, I have always enjoyed pulling things apart and putting them together, this way I would be expanding to the whole wide field of autmotive equipment. with all that said I was considering specializing in EV's and hybrid tech.

Last edited by traker1001; 03-02-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 23 (be 24 on thursday) but i went through a Chrysler specific auto program and worked in the dealer for about 3 years....overall it was a pretty good job but like any other job it had it's up and downs....the dealer isn't a bad place if you don't mine workin under a time crunch and dumbass service advisors

right now, i do work at my house for people on their cars....not a full time job just something I do when I have time. I have all my ASE tests done, and am a master tech

Old 03-02-2009, 09:54 PM
traker1001
Captain

Originally Posted by hemiyellow
right now, i do work at my house for people on their cars....not a full time job just something I do when I have time. I have all my ASE tests done, and am a master tech
I would like to do something like that, I was also considering buying cars for cheap that mechanically unsound fixing them and selling them for a small amount more. How long did it take you to get all your ASE tests, I mean besides the 2 years experience.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 days...i did 4 tests each day

Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
DODGEingbullets

I personally wouldnt want to do anything but be a mechanic. I worked on diesels in my brother-in-laws shop for about 3 years before i joined the military and now i do it here to. I also would like to get my ASE cert. but it maybe a bit before im anywhere long enough to do it all. When I was working at my brothers place it was like everyone else is saying, there were fast times and slow times and very phyisically demanding working with the semi's but it was well worth it to have the experiance of working on stuff like that. We have a small racing team but we are more of a off road based team. We have a mud truck and a sand drag truck. Hope all this helps in your decision.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:28 PM
traker1001
Captain

Well thanks guys, I have signed up for classes. I would really like to get into performance offroading some day, But at the same time very interested in the Hybrid and EV vehicles. Im sure ill find my niche, lol.

Quick Reply: Any Proffesional mechanics in this forum?