3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Has Anyone Hauled Mulch or Rocks in a truck with a BedRug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Hauled Mulch or Rocks in a truck with a BedRug?

Have any of y'all hauled mulch or rocks in a truck with a bed rug? I'm seriously considering getting one, however I'm worried that a load of mulch may stain it (it can stain a Line-X or Rhino liner spray in) and that a load of crushed gravel may be really hard to wash out. Also, I'm worried I might puncture it with a pitchfork.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, i used to haul all kinds of crazy **** in my ranger that had a bedrug. just take it to a hand car wash and pressure wash it out. itll be fine. got one for my ram now too. havent hauled much in it, but they are definitely solid, and wont stain or anything.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had one in my bed since the third week I had my truck and I bought it new in April of '04. I've hauled loads of river rock, pea gravel, and topsoil. I did do a couple loads of red mulch but to be safe and make cleanup easier I did lay a tarp down. I don't think it would have stained though. The "carpet" is really a plastic resin fiber and as such, I don't believe it will stain.
The only real pain was the topsoil. I ended up getting out what I could and unzipping in and pressure washing it in the driveway. But that's my normal routine with it anyway. The only maintenance I do is unzip it about once every six months and pressure washing it real good. You can't kill the sucker! With my knees that have had three separate surgeries, it's a godsend if you need to get in the back and so anything where you can't stand up. I'd get another in my next truck in a heartbeat...

Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Do you have a cover on your truck? It's good out in the sun if not?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get a 10x20 tarp so you can lay it down and tuck the excess in between your cab and box so when they dump that crap in you can just pull the tarp back towards the tailgate and that will keep most of the bedrug clean. Extra width can cover most of the sides too so you can lay the tarp over the fenders so if your getting rocks, they don't scratch the paint as they fall. Some stuff will catch the side of your truck, so get the tarp if you are concerned
When you have a little left you can pull on the front portion and all the rest should be on top of the tarp and will come right off. This will be a PIA but will keep things much cleaner

Mulch will tend to "Cling" to the carpet hairs. Rocks will be the easiest and dirt will be tough to rinse out as well.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Hmm.... thanks for the info. Just seems like I didn't have to worry about tarps and cleanup was always easy with a regular 'ole drop in bedliner.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

No, I do not have a bad cover of any kind. The bedrug will not fade.

Of course cleanup is easier with a plain old drop in bedliner. But I've also broken a lot of items in the back of my trucks with bedliners. Broken fishing rods from items such as trolling motors or batteries slamming into them, etc. NOTHING slides across that rug! But to be honest, I used to use a tarp when I had a bedliner too. Made cleanup a breeze, and stuff didn't get under the toolbox.

I'd never have anything but a bedrug in a truck after I've had this one. I care about the items I place in the bed of my truck and my knees. I have no problem with a few extra minutes cleanup or taking 30 mins to remove and pressure wash mine once or twice a year. If you can't be bothered or don't mind stuff sliding around your bed, get a drop in liner, it's cheaper...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
No, I do not have a bad cover of any kind. The bedrug will not fade.

Of course cleanup is easier with a plain old drop in bedliner. But I've also broken a lot of items in the back of my trucks with bedliners. Broken fishing rods from items such as trolling motors or batteries slamming into them, etc. NOTHING slides across that rug! But to be honest, I used to use a tarp when I had a bedliner too. Made cleanup a breeze, and stuff didn't get under the toolbox.

I'd never have anything but a bedrug in a truck after I've had this one. I care about the items I place in the bed of my truck and my knees. I have no problem with a few extra minutes cleanup or taking 30 mins to remove and pressure wash mine once or twice a year. If you can't be bothered or don't mind stuff sliding around your bed, get a drop in liner, it's cheaper...

ditto what hammer says. i will always have a bedrug in any truck i own they. i love em. i do have a cover though. agri-cover access limited edition. its sweet too.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Since every dealer around me has quoted me $307 for a drop-in, I might as well spend the xtra $100 and get a bedrug.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

damn, $400 for a bedrug?!!?! check out moesperformance.com, got mine for like $300 from there with free next day shipping.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Hauled Mulch or Rocks in a truck with a BedRug?