3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TRX4 susp. Lift

Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Ram1500TrX4
pete question for you as a parts guy

would getting a bigger coil spring for the front and and a diffrent leaf set up be a viable way to lift the truck 2-3 inch

my thinking it it would remain stock in set up ( almost) but you would then have a lift and beefer suspention. could this be done with out major modifecation ?
Short answer NO.
Problem is finding a longer spring that will fit your application with the same spring tension as stock. You'll also be over extending your struts as well, so regardless of how you lift the front, those would need to be changed. Plus, you would alter your alignment as well. You need an alignment no matter what way you raise the suspension up.
Raising the rear 2-3" can be done with add-a-leafs, but your truck would ride horribly. You would be much better off getting some spacers for the rear and you would still want longer shocks for the rear as well. Otherwise, they will be topping out same as the fronts. Topping out means you have less extension in your suspension. So, if you jack up your truck and have your wheels hanging freeely, your suspension travel is limited by the length of your shock/struts at that point.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys know you resurrected a dead thread from 09 right? Im just sayin'..................

Old 11-17-2010, 06:44 PM
newfiebullet
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trx4 sat higher then my buddys, not much but a little. Both were 2500's.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM
08Ram1500TrX4

the good ones never die...

going back to my front suspention idea what els would i have to change?
my only idea going into it was why put blocks when i can get a better coil spring. i can aslo weld so if i need to put in a new mount end or something that wouldnt be an issue i can handle the "heavy lifting"
problem is this is my first 4x4 so i figure if i do it i would like to do it right the first time. on top of that as far as a 2008 TrX4 is conserned in the lift kit world i dont exist. so i figure the good people of the dodge forum might be able to put me in the right direction of my own custom mod...

im not worried about ride quality like the new age is, i have put my ram through hell then gone back casue i forgot my tire iron and rim shards

i was thinking doing a completly new leaf set up in the back. if the world were perfect and i had a money tree i would put in a solid front axle insted of this independed front. leafs all around

Old 11-22-2014, 03:29 PM
truckmedic

I am new to the forum howdy all. I do have a question with all the TRX suspension talk. I have a new to me 2006 TRX with the 5.7, is the front suspension a "strut" or a coil over shock? I'm running 305's no aftermarket lift, should I go to the Rancho coil over and shock combo that looks like a strut?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRX4 susp. Lift