3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just got a deal on e-bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan5.7
You hear lots of horror stories but never from the actual source. I have ran them before on a 4,000 car with 500 hp..I wouldn't worry.
When you change wheels and tires on 300+ cars a day, you see it all. On light cars and trucks, they're bad enough, but to put them on a full size truck is about as smart as driving without lug nuts. The axles where never designed to be put under that much stress. Besides being illegal in most states, spacers also put the bearings under a lot of stress. The reason we won't work on vehicles with them because we have had customer who have damaged their vehicle greatly due to the spacers, and they blame us.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:37 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would never put that much undue stress on the suspension. It changes the bearing loads and the suspension geometry. That and whatever offset changes after-market wheels bring could really cause some problems.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Ive had 1.5" adapters on my truck for over a year now with not one problem. Now if you load up the bed pretty good, it might cause some problems. Otherwise I think youll be fine. Oh, for everybody else, they are called "Adapters". "Spacers" are just a plate that fits between the hub and the wheel. Does not bolt to anything. This is just incase some people dont know the difference. Not putting anybody down.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge it then ram it
Ive had 1.5" adapters on my truck for over a year now with not one problem. Now if you load up the bed pretty good, it might cause some problems. Otherwise I think youll be fine. Oh, for everybody else, they are called "Adapters". "Spacers" are just a plate that fits between the hub and the wheel. Does not bolt to anything. This is just incase some people dont know the difference. Not putting anybody down.
I looked at the listing again and I'm not sure why he called them adapters. Technically adapters change the bolt pattern.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess because you would have to run 6" long studs to use a regular style spacer and since they bolt-on, they are technically more like an adapter

Old 03-14-2009, 05:21 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

i run adapters on my rig. i tow , trail ride and for a year now never had a prob with them
most problems accure from a idiot installing them you need to follow the steps follow the correct tourge of the lugs and rember to check every 500 miles or so you will be golden

Old 03-14-2009, 06:43 PM
dodge it then ram it
Veteran

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
I looked at the listing again and I'm not sure why he called them adapters. Technically adapters change the bolt pattern.
The labeling is correct. It doesnt really have to have a different bolt pattern, does the same job. Just has the same pattern.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:46 PM
06DodgeRamMegaCab

I had "adapters" on a mustang about 4 years back, but like stated above it was to put rims with a non-stock bolt pattern on it. I was driving home about 2 in the morning and my front drivers side rim flew off my car and i was on my axel for approx. 50 feet. Luckily didn't break the axel or cause serious damage (don't ask me how it didn't). The reason the rim came off: adapter broke!

Quick Reply: just got a deal on e-bay