3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wow, I'm an Idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Wow, I'm an Idiot

Thought I would share a story with you guys.

Last weekend, I dropped the transmission pan, and replaced the sump filter and fluid. Used about 7.5 quarts of royal purple. At about $14 a quart for 8 quarts, it was quite an investment. But it all turned out well, and I was happy with the way the truck was driving.

Now, fast forward to this weekend. I am putting some lube on the backside of my brakes to hopefully stop the god awful squeaking they have been producing. I look back while under the truck to admire my new exhaust, and I notice oil spots all over the underside the truck. ****. It only took me another couple seconds to realize that there is a small leak coming from the transmission pan. I figure one of the bolts must be tad bit loose, so Ill just tighten it up right quick and be done with it. Oh, if only it were that easy. I tighten the bolt ever so slightly as not to break it, and, SNAP! Bolt head shears off. I grab a tube of RTV and put some in the hole hoping to hold it back enough for me to get it to a shop, but its still leaking.

So, now Ive got a pretty nice leak from my transmission. Wasting all that liquid gold we like to call Royal Purple. And now Im going to have to take it to a shop and get that broken bolt out. Its in a tight spot too, the one right between the transmission brace and the pipe coming off the drivers side manifold.

I guess while its in there I might as well have them put in a drain plug, and maybe even a temp sensor.

So, go ahead everyone, point and laugh at me. I know I deserve it. Hope you get a good laugh from this.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:12 PM
sos
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear that man. It could have happened to anyone, and it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. It's just one of those things that happens. Hope you get it fixed and it doesn't break the bank!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:18 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Did you torque it to specs?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That sucks, sounds to me the bolt was tight enough, did you scrape all the old RTV off while you had it off? That's one thing I make triple sure of with the tranny and diffs, that both sides are as clean and shiny as brand new parts before I put RTV on and replace the cover. One little raised spot and instant leak...

Old 03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
bolang
Professional

Could have happened to any of us,Good luck.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by bolang
Could have happened to any of us,Good luck.
+1 Yeah that sounds like my luck. Hope it all works out for the good.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Did you torque it to specs?
That's what I wondered. When I was putting mine back together, I was really watching that reading.

Tough luck, OlDirtyJohn. You're not the only person to have this happen. In another thread, someone broke a bolt taking it out.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a tough break man but don't feel too bad, it happens to the best of us. I got a question about the trans pan. When you reinstalled it did you use a gasket, rtv, both?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:59 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

this is why i wont even think of touching my trans or diffs. With my luck alot more would go wrong.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

LOL HA HA LOL HA HA. You said to laugh and point fingers. So I am just doing as you asked. Hope it gets fixed easily.

Quick Reply: Wow, I'm an Idiot