3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wow, I'm an Idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:34 PM
98indypacer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moosefire66
What are the torque specs for the trans pan bolts???
In the 2003 service manual the torque for the automatic transmission pan bolts are 125 INCH pounds (about 10 foot pounds) for the 48RE. Most cars I have worked on are about 10 foot pounds. Anything more than that and you crush the gasket or if using RTV you can warp the pan. I can send you the pages from the manual in pdf format if you want to read it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilovemytruck
QUestion, with that liquid gold your now dripping, did you notice a differance in shifting, was it worth all the extra money compared to regular ATF+4 mopar fluid???
I wanna switch it out let me know your opinion....
eh, maybe now that im leaking it, i dont know if it was worth the money. but as much as i like RP i didnt really notice a huge difference in the trans performance. probably would have felt the same if i had just used mopar fluid.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

when i had my trans serviced i noticed a difference right away in shifting, maybe my 04 needed it more then yours did.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

Is the tightening pattern the same as say lugnuts? Start in the middle of the pan and criss cross until all are tight?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

got a call back from the shop that has my truck. They want $190 to take the pan off, saving my precious RP for reuse, extracting the bolt, installing a drain plug, and zipping it all back up.

I dont really like that price much, but im in a bind, and need the truck done quick. I also asked him if he could just get an aftermarket pan with drain plug in it already. and after a couple hours he called back and said no one makes one like that.. hhhmmm, dont sound right to me. then i asked him about welding in a bung for a temp sensor. and he went off on some big long story about how i need to do that whole project all at once, cuz the sensor and gauge need to be specifically matched, blah blah blah, or just do an inline sensor. basically all bull****, minus the inline sensor, i just dont want an inline.

so, i told him forget about all that stuff and just extract the bolt and install the drain plug. but hey, at least the guy isnt trying to get me to buy **** i dont need! just seems like he doesnt want to do the work that much.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
Used about 7.5 quarts of royal purple. At about $14 a quart for 8 quarts, it was quite an investment. But it all turned out well, and I was happy with the way the truck was driving.

So, go ahead everyone, point and laugh at me. I know I deserve it. Hope you get a good laugh from this.

Ok the only thing that I am going to point and laugh at you for is the price of the oil you paid for it... I can get the same for 9.95/quart in Okla-f**king-homa...
(sorry I hate OK right now)

EDIT: I mis read, I was thinking the regular motor oil not the trans, Hammer just popped me and asked which I was talking about. lol... see I may be his right hand gal but I am still learning..

--Cow-chick--

Last edited by RodeoRamCowgirl; 03-16-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
98indypacer

Originally Posted by moosefire66
Is the tightening pattern the same as say lugnuts? Start in the middle of the pan and criss cross until all are tight?
The service manual does not state a pattern to tighten the bolts. See this file for more info. Link

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

well, the shop called again today. they wont have it back to me until tomorrow, cuz they want to let it sit for 24 hours for the RTV to cure. doesnt bother me much. and they have been calling me, giving me updates, and not trying to get me to spend more money. in my book these guys arent too terrible. just dont seem to be very knowledgeable about dodge trucks, but they seem like they are doing a good job.

I have been driving my neighbors nissan altima since monday now. and gosh darnit i cant wait to get my truck back. i hate that little car.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, the shop called again today. they wont have it back to me until tomorrow, cuz they want to let it sit for 24 hours for the RTV to cure. doesnt bother me much. and they have been calling me, giving me updates, and not trying to get me to spend more money. in my book these guys arent too terrible. just dont seem to be very knowledgeable about dodge trucks, but they seem like they are doing a good job.

I have been driving my neighbors nissan altima since monday now. and gosh darnit i cant wait to get my truck back. i hate that little car.
If they are not trying to rush you out the door or take you for more money, I take that as a good sign.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 AM
hiperf2007
Rookie

Thought I would share a story with you guys.

Last weekend, I dropped the transmission pan, and replaced the sump filter and fluid. Used about 7.5 quarts of royal purple. At about $14 a quart for 8 quarts, it was quite an investment. But it all turned out well, and I was happy with the way the truck was driving.

Now, fast forward to this weekend. I am putting some lube on the backside of my brakes to hopefully stop the god awful squeaking they have been producing. I look back while under the truck to admire my new exhaust, and I notice oil spots all over the underside the truck. ****. It only took me another couple seconds to realize that there is a small leak coming from the transmission pan. I figure one of the bolts must be tad bit loose, so Ill just tighten it up right quick and be done with it. Oh, if only it were that easy. I tighten the bolt ever so slightly as not to break it, and, SNAP! Bolt head shears off. I grab a tube of RTV and put some in the hole hoping to hold it back enough for me to get it to a shop, but its still leaking.

So, now Ive got a pretty nice leak from my transmission. Wasting all that liquid gold we like to call Royal Purple. And now Im going to have to take it to a shop and get that broken bolt out. Its in a tight spot too, the one right between the transmission brace and the pipe coming off the drivers side manifold.

I guess while its in there I might as well have them put in a drain plug, and maybe even a temp sensor.

So, go ahead everyone, point and laugh at me. I know I deserve it. Hope you get a good laugh from this.

Well I for one will not laugh. I have been there before. I have even broke down and used a torque wrench to be on the safe side. 25lbs. Torque wrench only gets to about 15lbs and the bolt snaps. Myself I think on things like that I would go and get stronger bolts.

Quick Reply: Wow, I'm an Idiot